When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Diy..30 Minute Guide To Crown Guard Mods.

trademarque

hi guys..

i just got my "perfect" sub LV from andrew at trusytime this morning.

those of you who know the perfect subs available, will know that the trusty time perfect sub costs $50 less, but has no crown guard mod..

not for long..

here is a quick guide for those too afraid to try...

it's really quite an easy mod...follow my guide, but just remember one rule..

you can always take more away...but you cant put any back!...this meaning, only file a bit at a time, then check...then a bit more..check...and so on...

i wont be held responsible for any ruined watches!!

this is the way the crown guards were before i started...note the time!

post-3347-1162223334_thumb.jpg

post-3347-1162223403_thumb.jpg

you can see although the cg's are good...they are not perfect...yet!

next we put the watch into a vice..this cost £10/$18 from a DIY store..

it is advisable to remove the bezel to do this...but i di it here without removing the bezel...for ease for the noob..further info on bezel removal is elsewhere in the forum...

141337-16857.jpg

then mask everything up...so no nasty file marks anywhere we dont want them..

141337-16858.jpg

then, with a small file, gently file away the guard, a bit at a time..a little water on the tip of the file helps..

141337-16859.jpg

then we check against the light with the crown closed...on a gen sub you can see light pass through the base of the crown when fuly screwed in...

141337-16860.jpg

if you need more filing...repeat above process...dont take too much off!!

when satisfied it look good...then we gently finish the filed area with a low grade paper...i used 600 and 1200 grit...with a little water.

141337-16861.jpg

141337-16862.jpg

the we have the finsished article!!

141337-16863.jpg

enjoy!!

Edited by trademarque

Thanks for the tips.

If you have the luxury of time and the proper tools, I would recommend removing the tube when doing this job. This will allow you to use a square file when shaping the inner guards, and avoid rounding off the inside corners.

next we put the watch into a vice..this cost £10/$18 from a DIY store..

it is advisable to remove the bezel to do this...but i di it here without removing the bezel...for ease for the noob..further info on bezel removal is elsewhere in the forum...

I wanted to do it on my EL sub, but never got to it because I thought I have to open the watch to remove the crown, then the tube and bezel. After seeing your post, I was able to file the inside corners of the CGs to make it more "vertical" without disassembling anything.

Surprised that I only needed to do a few strokes on each side. Thanks for the tips and great pictures.

no metal filings in the watch...we have not opened the watch..only unscrewed the crown and pulled out as if we were setting the time..nothing can make it's way into the case.

this is a very quick mod..you will be amazed at how little material actually needs taking off....i suppose it all depends how badly shaped they are to begin with.

• 2 weeks later...