When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Noob question regarding Japanese Quartz vs 7750

renuan1

Hey Guys,

New here and have purchased one watch from WatchEden and its ok for the $108 spent on it. I am now looking to purchase a full gold Breitling Evolution (pic attached) and see the 7750 version is double the price.

Is this price difference purely based on the mechanics inside of the watch or does it also reflect an upgrage in quality of the materials used? (ex. thicker coating of gold plate)

Just trying to get all the information regarding the difference between two price points.

Thanks for your help

post-41528-0-56796700-1327937116.jpg

Something else to consider, is accuracy. Accuracy as in which is more important to you: Accuracy in construction, or accuracy in time keeping... The subdials will likely be placed differently on the quartz model, which can dramatically change the look of the watch. However, the quartz movement will keep near-perfect accuracy in time keeping out of the box, where the 7750 may need regulating and adjusting and even then may still gain or lose time daily. I have a Tudor Heritage which has a quartz movement (which does not too noticeably affect subdial placement due to the surrounding color fields) which keeps absolutely flawless time. If I was ever to get another chrono watch, I would aim for a quartz movement, even if the gen should have a mechanical movement, simply for the efficiency of the movement :) Even if it was a Newman Daytona (Sorry, Freddy, function over form on this topic for me :drinks: )

In my experience the quartz version reps always use different parts than the 7750 version and they're often not as well constructed or finished. Mind you this is going back a couple of years and I'm not sure if there are quartz chrono reps out there now that use the same cases/bracelets as the 7750 versions.

In saying this the quartz chrono reps offer outstanding value, especially when compared to what you can get at similar price levels from retail outlets :) And as TeeJay mentioned you can't beat the accuracy (timekeeping that is).

A quartz model is indeed cheaper, and inherently more accurate, but a quartz movement is not something most watch geeks find acceptable...if it's OK with you, by all means go that way!!

The most important person in any watch choice is the guy wearing it !!!

As above, it depends on if visual accuracy or time keeping accuracy is the more important feature for you :) I have three quartz watches... The Tudor Heritage, a black plastic submariner which I fitted with a modified Rolex dial for a chuckle, and a clone of the Suunto Vector. The Vector is my official camping watch (as it's big enough to take knocks, and equally I don't care what happens to it :lol: ) The plastic sub is the watch I wear when I tattoo, so the magnetic field from the machine's coils won't affect one of my mechanical movements (it also gets worn when I want to be seriously low key) and the Tudor Heritage is pretty much my daily beater. Not necessarily because of the accuracy of the movement, but because it's a nice watch, with a lot of meaning for me :) If I was to get somehing like a Newman Daytona, knowing that the movement might only need a new battery every so often, rather than a 5 yearly servicing from a watchsmith, would also be another factor I would consider as opposed to pure 1:1 visual replication :) As above, what's important to you, and what you're happy with, are all that matters :)

I guess my main concern was wether the aesthetics of the watches improved when the pricetag went up. I wouldnt consider myself a watch 'geek' so my major concern is the look. Now if both watches will look exactly the same i think the $100 range will make my wrist and wallet very happy

If you want to minimize the likelihood of having your watch ID'd as being 'fake', stick with a mechanical 7750 & be prepared to deal with the issues discussed above (less-than-perfect accuracy, cost of maintenance, etc). If, like TeeJay, timing accuracy trumps aesthetic accuracy, then, by all means, save the money (& headaches) & go quartz.

Omega to a Quartz fersion of their Seamaster, so it's not just 'low end' watches that use them

Omega PO quartz is not a "high-end" watch. It's an overpriced piece of junk with idiots as owner. Producing it is compared to selling a plastic bag with LV insignia on it for 3000$, and owning one - to cutting a hole in such a bag and wearing it to work as a shirt. Frankly speaking I'm a bit disgusted by Omega's pricing of that watch.

I support what freddy said on this topic. If all you need is a cheap watch that resembles the original, but not in an accurate manner, and keeps great time - by all means buy a quartz. I think it's a good solution for someone who doesn't want to spend on a watch and doesn't require design accuracy.

One of the main 'Tells' of a Quartz movement is the second hand 'jumps' a second at a time rather than 'sweeping'

That's why I put the Rolex dial in the plastic submariner :D It's so obvious that it's just a plastic fashion watch, that it attracts 0% attention :tu: If someone was to then see the dial said Rolex, and the ticking quartz, it would be all the more obvious that it is not only fake, but an intentional joke :) Makes me smile everytime I wear it. Infact, I think I'll put it on now :good:

Omega PO quartz is not a "high-end" watch. It's an overpriced piece of junk with idiots as owner. Producing it is compared to selling a plastic bag with LV insignia on it for 3000$, and owning one - to cutting a hole in such a bag and wearing it to work as a shirt. Frankly speaking I'm a bit disgusted by Omega's pricing of that watch.

I support what freddy said on this topic. If all you need is a cheap watch that resembles the original, but not in an accurate manner, and keeps great time - by all means buy a quartz. I think it's a good solution for someone who doesn't want to spend on a watch and doesn't require design accuracy.

I don't agree, pricing of any Omega or Rolex is is stupidly high for what you get. Quartz Omega will be as well made as the Automatic and will keep better time. Just because you don't like a quartz watch doesn't mean it's any more over priced than any other Omega.

I don't agree, pricing of any Omega or Rolex is is stupidly high for what you get. Quartz Omega will be as well made as the Automatic and will keep better time. Just because you don't like a quartz watch doesn't mean it's any more over priced than any other Omega.

I agree, almost all gen watches are stupidly overpriced. If Steinhart can make a good watch with their own "in-house" design and stock ETA under $700, everyone can. If you are "Omega", you are most welcome to double on that, but anything else is just company's greed. On the other hand when we talk about automatic in-house movements I accept that the investment in R&D is high and the companies need to return such an investment. Yet again if you sum all the materials, work, investment up and double the price for "brand" you will never get even close to asked price.

My point wasn't whether I like quartz or not, I don't, but it's not an issue here. My point was that slapping a $2000 pricetag on a watch with a $20 stock movement is outrageous. I can assure you that the case isn't worth $1800, you know what I mean?