When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What is this vintage piece?

maxman

Oh, my... This is so simple and beautiful! What an amazing movement for a 100 years old watch. A true benchmark for all those so called "vintage collections" out there, (Yes I'm looking at you IWC)

PS love vintage pieces, most are unwearable unfortunately, but even looking at them is very satisfying imho.

Very nice :) One of those made an appearance on Antiques Roadshow Sunday evening, with a few other assorted watches, the guy valued it at about £600 :)

Thanks T...this one Is going for $2895...I would have thought more...but then again...I really dont know the true value of such watches. :pardon:

Mike

Oh I agree..It is trully a beautiful piece. I dont know to much about these early 19th(approx 1915) centery pieces...but It looks like this had two purposes....wrist watch and pocket watch...no? :g:

Mike

I think you meant 20th century :)

Although many late 19th early 20th century wrist watches were indeed adapted pocket watches (the wrist watch fashion was in it's infancy then), this one was made as a wrist watch. Because pocket watches were still popular then, we still see the protective cover design on some of the pure wrist watches from that era.

Thanks T...this one Is going for $2895...I would have thought more...but then again...I really dont know the true value of such watches. :pardon:

Mike

I think they retail at around $2800 - $3000, I think I've seen one on ebay a few months ago, but it wasn't nearly as beautiful as this one. They are rare, though

Edited by Adeodatus

I think you meant 20th century :)

Although many late 19th early 20th century wrist watches were indeed adapted pocket watches (the wrist watch fashion was in it's infancy then), this one was made as a wrist watch. Because pocket watches were still popular then, we still see the protective cover design on some of the pure wrist watches from that era.

Not only am I not that familiar with vintage pieces...It's obvious that Im not up to speed on my centuries either. :bangin:

Thanks for the Info..I guess the ss cover led me to believe that this was also used as pocket watch...as I do know there were popular thru the 20's-40's.

Mike

Mike

I have to admit, I didn't think the expert was on the money, as I suspected it would be worth way more than what he said :D Interestingly, they showed didn't have a full metal front cover, but instead had a 'swing up' crystal :good::drinks:

I have to admit, I didn't think the expert was on the money, as I suspected it would be worth way more than what he said :D Interestingly, they showed didn't have a full metal front cover, but instead had a 'swing up' crystal :good::drinks:

Interesting :g: I dont think I have ever heard of a "swing up" crystal before. :drinks:

Interesting :g: I dont think I have ever heard of a "swing up" crystal before. :drinks:

I forget if there was a second inner crystal, or if the hinged crystal was the only crystal, but it was like a pocketwatch set up, just with a see through cover :)

Also, if I was to ever have to sell my collection, I'd probably reboot with a 42mm Planet Ocean :whistling:

I love the 42mm PO..thats to me what the sub is to you bro...although I have the 45.5 atm.

I feel the 42mm Is the better balanced watch overall...Imho anyway :drinks:

Mike

This is an World War 1 officer's Trench Watch .. it has a cover so that you don't smash the crystal mucking about in the trench, waiting for the signal to go over the top.

I have one here, but it's not a Rolex. Check eBay for "trench watch" to see hundreds of examples.

Here is the thread I made about it last week .....

This is an World War 1 officer's Trench Watch .. it has a cover so that you don't smash the crystal mucking about in the trench, waiting for the signal to go over the top.

I have one here, but it's not a Rolex. Check eBay for "trench watch" to see hundreds of examples.

Here is the thread I made about it last week ..... http://www.rwg.cc/to...sterious-button

Very Interesting....thanks.