When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Verdict on Perfect Clones 5513?

captain swoop

That's what I built this piece of $hit from. I may have "skinnied" up the CGs a bit much but maybe I can blame it on some other goober polishing it too much...

post-24124-0-02901600-1331427206.jpg

"A few months ago I asked the terrible "Where do you get an MBW Case Set?" and I got some evasive responses like "do a search."

Might keep a daily lookout on the watches for sale and parts for sale forums on RWG. I know it is a pain but sooner or later one will turn up.

I have owned a few '1680' cases...Paul/Abay, Yuki, DW, a few of unknown origins, and MBK. Iirc the MBK is the best of the bunch especially if you count the extra expense of a Yuki, Phong etc case.

I never tried to put a 1570/75 in the MBK case but I doubt it would be a whole lot of trouble and besides, I have read where Yuki etc cases were not exactly the same every time.

I am sure there are detail differences between 1680 MBK cases and high $$ Yuki/Phong etc cases but doubt if the MBK is 'bad' enough to justify the Yuki/Phong etc price differences, especially if you plan to use an Eta movement.

Otoh, if you plan to use a genuine 1570/75 and are not interested in making the 1570/75 fit into the MBK case...you might be better off with a Yuki/Phong etc case.

The DW case would accept a genuine 1570/75 and dial but the crystal, inner and outer bezel etc were not oem spec and the case had rounded sides like a DJ.

Again...I emailed Reg last week and he said, "Getting things out of the MBK and (the dealers name deleted) unwillingness to sell parts just makes it not worth the trouble."

yeah dealing with the man from MBK (seeing as how his name was deleted i wont mention it) is always an interesting part of any day, he is a paranoid, xenophobic, untrustworthy person, if you buy anything from there, i have a check list of quality control points worth always referencing, because he couldnt care less really about what he sells you, youd be surprised how many of these MBK watches have seagul movements in them for example, but there are worse points of contention.

if any ones going hit me up for the low down, i ll share some quality control issues from my experience you should always look for first before plopping down any Thai Baht. things you other wise would not have noticed without coming across a few hundred cases and seeing first hand these variations and failures (and im just talking about buying case sets here).

Looks good, Justin. Are you going to be putting together a Black Bay?

I think I have everything I need except the insert, which is on it's way! ;) I will likely build it in a vintage style case and will differ from the gen in that I will be having lug holes. The factory really should have drilled the lugs on this one...

I think I have everything I need except the insert, which is on it's way! ;) I will likely build it in a vintage style case and will differ from the gen in that I will be having lug holes. The factory really should have drilled the lugs on this one...

Cool! I look forward to it. Yes, drilled lug-holes would've been nice on the BB.