When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How much for a genuine 16520 movement and case?

mastersdom

4030 movements appear maybe once in a decade. Be prepared to pay in the area of $4500 to $5000.

Case without bracelet most probably around $3k (at least that is what a buddy paid).

If you want to use a gen case and movement better buy a complete gen watch, will be the cheaper way in the end.

Totally agree with watchmeister, I always try (Key word,TRY) to use the 20% rule of thumb when putting together a franken. Probably could revise that to 25% due to price increases,inflation, etc. So, in this case if you were building a franken of a 10k watch, the most you could reasonably spend would be around 2500 USD. Here the movement alone will blow your budget. If you stick pretty close to the Rule, you probably won't get burned too badly when you decide to sell or trade your watch. Worst case you can part it out and get most of your money back. IF you spend 6k building a 10k watch, you better plan on keeping it for a long,long time!!

its going to a be two tone for sure. ive seen some for 8400. def possible but a ss one is going to be at least 10k

I think the market prices have dropped slightly. 12-18 months ago, I couldn't find one on TRF for under 10k. Lately, I've seen several closer to 9k-9.5k for SS. I always look as it guides my real hobby here!

As for the rule of thumb, 25% is my rule of thumb. There is a franken 16520 for sale somewhere for 4.5k if I recall but that's 50% and it would have to be a grail watch for me to fork 50% into a franken.

I planned on building a Daytona Franken but then got a great deal on a genuine 116520 and could not resist buying the gen watch...

I have quite a lot of parts gathered during the last few years and in the meantime I have a full set of the parts needed to convert a Zenith El Primero movement for use with genuine hands and conversion to only two crown setting positions.

They are for sale here:

• 1 month later...