When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gmt Master Bezel Inserts

deltatahoe

i've been eyeing the GMT master, but everyone seems to indicate that a new insert is a must. i haven't seen any posts re: good places to source these inserts, so i started searching on ebay, etc.

i found this ebay auction here for an aftermarket insert. anyone have any experience with this seller? any thoughts / ways to tell the quality of this insert?

then as i thought about it more i figured real rolex owners might be a good source for finding these, so after some google searching i stumbled across a post on www.rolexforums.com and found an interesting thread here about GMT bezel inserts. i will try to register & post on there tonight to see if i can get some more info re: sourcing a genuine bezel insert, and will post any findings here.

any other thoughts / experiences re: GMT master bezels?

dt

Guest aclaimsman

You should only need the insert itself and not the entire bezel. I have purchased from this guy before and his inserts are not bad. By the way, the insert from him runs around $18.00.

Go genuine... I had an aftermarket red/black that one of our most experienced members recommended, but the red colour faded noticably within 12 months. Just got a new genuine one and the colour depth blew me away.

Maybe there are good aftermarket out there, but it's too hard to tell from internet pics.

thanks -- i actually realized that nuance right after i posted (i've subsequently edited the link). did the insert require modding before installing into your GMT master?

You should only need the insert itself and not the entire bezel. I have purchased from this guy before and his inserts are not bad. By the way, the insert from him runs around $18.00.

where were you able to source the gen insert? how much? modding required to get it to fit in your GMT master? PM me if you'd rather send the info that way.

thanks,

dt

Go genuine... I had an aftermarket red/black that one of our most experienced members recommended, but the red colour faded noticably within 12 months. Just got a new genuine one and the colour depth blew me away.

Maybe there are good aftermarket out there, but it's too hard to tell from internet pics.

I've bought from wholesale outlet990, and I'd say his inserts are so-so. That Rolex forum link you posted looked interesting and if you could find gen inserts in the $50-65 range there, I'd go for it. I've also bought aftermarket inserts from Lee Raymond Jewelers on ebay and I think they're a little better than wholesaleoutlet990, IMO.

so i heard back from one of the guys on rolexforums re: getting a genuine bezel insert; here's his reply:

A couple of folks sent me names of dealers, but when I called, they would not ship a bezel to me.

Finally, I found a watch repair guy in Fresno (200 miles from my house) who would order me an insert from Rolex and ship it to me. (Still close to $100). Rolex wanted both the case and serial number before shipping it. I visited this AD after making some phone calls while doing other business in Fresno.

At any rate, its pretty much a crap shoot. My best luck is finding a watch repairman or an AD with a Rolex parts account, and asking them to order the insert on your behalf, and without having to send the watch to Rolex.

Good luck,

xxxx

case & serial number before shipping it? that could be a problem. :g:

I got my Pepsi & red/black inserts from Palpatine. The inside diameter ring needed to be drilled to fit the rep.

They're not genuine, but they're almost exactly like them. Very good color and quality.

Red/black:

142499-16556.jpg

Pepsi:

142499-16557.jpg

thanks for the response by-tor. i remember reading that in your guide to the gmt master, but i wasn't sure if palpatine is still sourcing these inserts given his recent retirement from modding work. i wasn't going to bother him about it, but guess it couldn't hurt to send him a PM just in case...

EDIT: i'm confusing palpatine with finepics. oops.

I got my Pepsi & red/black inserts from Palpatine. The inside diameter ring needed to be drilled to fit the rep.

They're not genuine, but they're almost exactly like them. Very good color and quality.

My only advice is to persevere with your search, they ARE out there ;)

142603-16545.jpg

142603-16546.jpg

To compare, 16710 aftermarket plus bezel - both of which I have no use for really anymore -_-. Strong deep red colour almost but not quite gen colour (only noticeable side by side) and very slight bleed of numerals towards both edges of insert - apart from that, 98% there.

142603-16547.jpg

Edited by docblackrock

@doc: The numbers on your aftermarket insert are cut, and don't fit to the bezel ring. Some reps came like that before... even mine (year and a half ago).

That was actually the biggest reason I bought another insert. My watch before the mod (just look at 8 and 6):

142605-16543.jpg

@doc: The numbers on your aftermarket insert are cut, and don't fit to the bezel ring. Some reps came like that before... even mine (year and a half ago).

That was actually the biggest reason I bought another insert. My watch before the mod (just look at 8 and 6):

Exactly, that's why it's lain in my parts bin for a couple of years.

Once you see those gorgeous serif numerals on the gen, you are spoiled forever. Same with my 1675 - aftermarkets just don't cut it I'm afraid.

Edited by docblackrock

Exactly, that's why it's lain in my parts bin for a couple of years.

Once you see those gorgeous serif numerals on the gen, you are spoiled forever. Same with my 1675 - aftermarkets just don't cut it I'm afraid.

New GMT Masters don't all come with Serif. Most do, however. But I saw one brand new 2006 model at my local AD that had the exact same font as the reps.

And here's a shot from the Basel show (straight from the Rolex booth):

142654-16538.jpg

The rep font isn't inaccurate.

New GMT Masters don't all come with Serif. Most do, however. But I saw one brand new 2006 model at my local AD that had the exact same font as the reps.

The rep font isn't inaccurate.

I agree - I've also seen and handled GMTs in ADs that have the sans serif 'rep' font. I don't know of any rationale for the variation, probably just typical irrational inconsistency on their part, after all they're infamous for it going back years.

Still , at least the colour on the gens IS different in comparison - which is why the all-black insert on reps is a popular choice ^_^

Edited by docblackrock

i found this genuine insert on the bay here; i'm thinking about pulling the trigger on this one. does anyone have any experience with this guy? a little skeptical buying something from pakistan, but they seem to be legit and have good feedback.

also, if i were to get one of these genuine inserts, from what i've read it takes some drilling/modding to get it to fit properly in our reps. i don't have the right tools (or skills!) to do this myself; are there any members (preferably in the US) that have done this for their GMT's and would consider doing the modding on mine for a small fee?

thanks,

dt

Mine with serif insert... got it on the bay. There were also a couple on TZ a few weeks ago for $55 I think.

142729-16522.jpg

Edit: after looking at this back I think it looks a bit dull, and doesn't captures the true colour which looks red in bright light and almost burgundy in other light.

Edited by dec