When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM 390 cut seconds pinion done correctly, at least this one

RWG Technical

Just finished servicing a 390 and I was pleasantly surprised to see that the removal of the running seconds post was done correctly.

Although the pivot was not rounded and was left square, at least it was correctly cut off with enough of the post remaining to allow correct height and finishing.

On the same movement the top escape wheel jewel was cracked in half...very unusual to have cracked jewels, so I am guessing this was done by whoever modified the post...can't win for loosing sometimes...

That'a great news Zigmeister. I'm planning to send my 390 to you as well. I sent an email earlier today to J.

That would be great, I would like to see a few more of these to find out if they are all modified the same way and to the same standard.

It will be interesting to see how your pinion is cut off...

Just finished servicing a 390 and I was pleasantly surprised to see that the removal of the running seconds post was done correctly.

Although the pivot was not rounded and was left square, at least it was correctly cut off with enough of the post remaining to allow correct height and finishing.

On the same movement the top escape wheel jewel was cracked in half...very unusual to have cracked jewels, so I am guessing this was done by whoever modified the post...can't win for loosing sometimes...

I am guessing this was mine?

Does the cracked jewel mean I am screwed again? :( If it wasn't for bad luck....

Yes it was yours.

No, the cracked jewel wasn't a show stopper...I removed it, and installed a fresh new un-cracked jewel. The old jewel will be returned along with the watch so you can inspect it.

I consider this good luck, had it not been sent in for servicing, the cracked jewel would cut into the pivot and eventually cause the escape wheel pivot to fail, when it failed the mainspring would be disconnected from the escapment and free to turn, and it would unwind in a milisecond and destroy the movement, and probably destroy the dial and hands as well.

It goes to show once again how important servicing is, and how important it is to look at everything under a 10X loupe, nothing should be taken for granted, even on a new movement. Cracked jewels are very rare, I suspect that whoever cut off the seconds post, didn't remove the escape wheel, and with the seconds post wheel sitting under the escape wheel, you have to force it out of the movement, which put pressure on the escape wheel, and it's pivot, cracking the jewel....

Watch is being tested and monitored and working perfectly so far.

• Like 1

Thank you good sir. I know very little about the inner workings of a timepiece but a few years of reading this forum has taught me one very important fact.

That being, anyone who has a watch they wish to keep for an extended period of time should send it to you for service..

You da Man!!!

Sounds great. Yes I will be definitely sending it over asap. I really like the one I got, it is very well made and the CG and lever is super tight. I'm definitely looking forward to keeping this model for as long as possible. I hope my movement will turn out to be good as well.

That would be great, I would like to see a few more of these to find out if they are all modified the same way and to the same standard.

It will be interesting to see how your pinion is cut off...

I cannot stress enough the importance of doing the service. My first Panerai 111 rep went out to The Zigmeister back in 2005 and then later again cause I managed to drop it and things got loose inside. The watch has been running super well for a long time now. If you have a piece that you like, and intend to keep it and have it run well for many years to come, service it ASAP.

Edited by lfovco

Just finished servicing a 390 and I was pleasantly surprised to see that the removal of the running seconds post was done correctly. Although the pivot was not rounded and was left square, at least it was correctly cut off with enough of the post remaining to allow correct height and finishing. On the same movement the top escape wheel jewel was cracked in half...very unusual to have cracked jewels, so I am guessing this was done by whoever modified the post...can't win for loosing sometimes...

Hi Zig,

I would like to receive the watch servicing on my pam 390, however i am unable to PM you. Could you provide me a way to communicate to you about my request?

Thank you.

Cheers,

gsvoyager