When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

2428.2 problems... Keyless?

Lovecraft

So, I've had some problems with the movement since I got the watch. I thought that the energy reserve was a bit on the short side and the winding is very hard and slow. It's gotten progressively worse and now the watch seems to barely have more energy reserve than 6-7 hours and the winding has become ridiculously hard to where I can barely wind it up.

Is it the keyless problem people say are common for POs? Is it something I can fix myself or should I just send it back? I don't mind trying to fix it myself if it isn't overly difficult.

Just tell them the standard rep tubes are getting worse ;)

Yeah I see your predicament, maybe there's a straightforward solution with the movement, not very experienced in watchmaking here so maybe the more experience members will pipe in on the power reserve issue. Does sound like a teardown job though, a straightforward service would most likely sort it out. You got any rep friendly watchsmits near you?

How is the watch running generally...as in timekeeping? is it reasonably accurate or well off?....sometimes 2824 can be very stiff out of the box

It's lagging behind a bit, not hugely though. I guess it could be fun to figure out how to service the movement, but at the same time it's a pretty huge deal and it's just one thing too many that's not working with this watch. As fun and interesting as it is to learn this stuff, it's also a bit irritating.

Yes, I screwed the tube right back in. I did a fairly clean job with the filing so the crown even screws on properly. I still think they will have issues with the fact that there is a notch in the tube though, but in all honesty I've tried to fix everything as far as I could myself without returning it. Ie ordering a new gen tube, crown, stem and half-link myself. I actually have a Sea-gull with proper movement coming in. I found one cheap on eBay and thought I could use it to play around a bit and learn how to service it. I COULD just use that one, but then I'd be stuck with the original non-working movement.

Yeah, it's a difficult one, the crown and bracelet issues were fixable, but the movement issue is different, it would be expense to repair it (service) and it would be even more expensive to replace. It might be worth contacting the dealer and just ask what he suggests....even if its just a discount off another watch while keeping the current one. You also have some of the gen parts now so a working PO is probably a necessity at this stage, its just whatever works out cheapest to get you a working watch at this stage!

I asked and he said right away I could send it back for repair. Still, mailing it back will be quite expensive and if they deem my insult to their tube to be too much I'm possibly stuck with repair costs and shipment back. Apart from sending it back, I can see two other options: rebate on another buy or I get to buy a new movement from him at a rebated price. Don't know if he likes those options though.

Well at least Josh and Andrew are more open to 'accommodating' a deal with customers who have problems...they like to keep their customer base! You can only ask and see, I'm sure he'd be willing to help, the suggestion of getting a new movement from him is a good option, it would be a fairly straight forward swap out and you would be doing the franken anyway so it would work out favourably in that regard. Shipping watches back to CN is always a pain, and a rebate off a new purchase watch still leaves you with this one to fix.

It seemed Andrew would have preferred to have it shipped back, but I explained I wasn't too keen on it and now he's sending me a new movement :) Service? Yeah, I'd say so.

I'll keep the old one as a project to see if I can fix it by learning how to service it. This is by far the best solution for me :D

That was a good result, a new movement is probably the ideal option for you that you are going franken. I wouldn't worry too much about conquering the servicing of etas just yet, but it definitely works out very well for you, ....you could practise hand removal and fitting on it(especially the second hand), dial removal, datewheel removal and refitting and getting the stem in and out multiple times without tripping the keyless, and then purposely tripping the keyless in order to reset it :D You'd be perfectly set up to do your own franken then without any surprises when you have all the parts. :D

Fair play to andrew, couldn't ask for better service than that!