When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Questions For Pam 036

taiji

Hi,

I recently received a PAM 036. I like the watch very much. However, I can see a blue tint on the crystal at some angle. Below are some question and

Question 1 : Does a Genuine PAM 036 AR Coating show a blue tint?

Although the blue tint gives an "expensive" look to the watch but I do not like it.

Question 2 : I read from the forum and understand that the AR Coating can be done on 2 sides of the crystal. I think my one has it. How can I remove it? Do I need any chemical agent?

Question 3 : If there is no solution to question 2, the last thing I hope to do is to replace the crystal. The problem is, what can I do to take out the crystal from the bezel or watch case? Any kind soul please share with me some step by step guide to do so.

Thanks alot guys

post-3571-1162402699_thumb.jpg

Crystal is seated into the bezel but the bezel does not need removing to pop the crystal out. Panerai only coat their watches on the inside as the caoting is easily scratched and not ideal for the front. There are scratch resistant coatings but again not ususally used.

The 036 may actually not be coated at all (can't remember) but the better quality rep is usually the one with the purple coating.

Hi Taiji.

The blue tint on the crystal is the AR (Anti-Reflective) coating.

This stops alot of the glare and reflections of light on the crystal and makes the dial much clearer.

The genuine panerai has this also, and many people here pay extra to have this coating on their watches.

If i were you, i would definetely leave it there.

yupz..no AR on the 36 for sure. :)

Ditto, I believe the same, some of the 036 owner's pics I looked at from paneristi.com definitelly show considerably more glare then other base/marina models of recent times.

@taiji - the only gen watches I've seen with blue-tinted AR coating were a couple of Citizen Promaster LAND series watches. All other gen AR coated crystals I've seen so far come with transparent tint. That's not to say the ones we get on our reps are in any shape or form inferior, just with a diferent hue, that's all.

I wouldn't worry too much about it at all, actually blue tint adds some nice touch to brown/bakelite dialed 036, and to Ti case as well, IMO.

cheers,

babola

Hi taiji,

you can start by treating the outside of your crystal with any solvent you can think of: alcohol, acetone (nail-polish remover), petroleum, etc. If your crystal is double-side coated (but I doubt it) this should remove the outside coating and make the blueish tint lighter.

If you are not satisfied with the result, then you have to remove the crown guard, the caseback, the crown, the movement, and push the crystal from the inside to make it pop out. Better pushing it with the proper tool, not with your fingers, else you might break it. It is a 5 minutes job for any watchsmith.

Then repeat the solvent thing on the crystal inside. This should get you rid of any AR coating.

Finally reassemble the watch in reverse order: push the crystal in, reinstall the movement, the crown, screw the caseback in, and reinstall the crown guard.

Have a good Yang form. Zai jian! post-217-1162427525.gif

My watchsmith is scared [censored] to pop crystals out :blink:

Well, any watchsmith but one, I suppose... :wounded1:

In that case one might want to have a try with the MSA07.152 or 180.606 tool from this Ofrei page (near the bottom of the page).

Those presses work both to remove and to install crystals (besides of closing casebacks, naturally). I personally use the inexpensive 180.606 and I never had a problem.

come on guys please please please...

GENUINE 00036 DOES HAVE AR coating...

from PANERAI.COM...

Executed by kind permission of the Italian Navy

Unique edition of 200 units

PAM 00036

Movement: hand-wound mechanical, Panerai OP II calibre, 16½ lignes, 17 jewels, bridges personalized PANERAI.

Glucydur® balance, 21,600 alternations/hour.

Incabloc® anti-shock device. Power reserve 56 hours.

Chronometer Certificate (C.O.S.C.).

Functions: hours, minutes, small seconds.

Case: diameter 44 mm, brushed titanium.

Bezel: brushed titanium.

Back: see-through sapphire crystal.

Device protecting the crown: (registered Trade Mark) in brushed titanium.

Dial: brown with luminous hour markers and Arabic numerals. Small seconds dial at 9 o'clock.

Crystal: sapphire, made from corundum, 3.5 mm thick. Anti-reflective coating.

Water resistance: 300 metres.

Strap: leather with titanium buckle personalized PANERAI.

* Officine Panerai is not the owner of the Trade Marks Glucydur®, Incabloc®.