When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Forged Carbon AP Parts

Imaknockov

I've decided to start a thread specifically for the forged carbon APs. As some of you may or may not already know, I've been experimenting with producing my own forged carbon parts but was reluctant to start a thread on it until I could satisfy myself that my efforts would not be futile. Also, I didn't feel that it would be right to capture peoples' interest and then disappoint them, so I kept a relatively low profile as I worked behind the scenes.

While my initial tests with the material proved fruitful, I can say with all honesty that once the tooling for the real parts had been done and I was making the first actual watch parts, I had a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach that the test was going to be a failure. The three hour curing process was painfully long, as I had no way of knowing how bad the damage was before the moulds could be opened. Much to my surprise though, the parts actually turned out rather well. To be honest, my initial expectations were rather low to begin with.

So far I can tell you this much about making these parts: it's exceedingly delicate and frustrating. The mould cavities are very small and challenging to fill, the forging process takes about 3 hours and then probably another 3 to manually clean the parts. Sufficed to say, I don't think that this process lends itself well to any kind of mass-production and is probably why we haven't seen the factories do anything like this yet.

While I thought of taking pictures of just the parts, I was actually more keen to determine whether the pieces would actually fit back onto the watch properly, so as soon as the parts were cleaned, I bolted them back into place and the whole process was surprisingly trouble-free. There are a few defects that I noticed during the fitting process, but it has been extremely educational and have found ways to remedy these for future parts: my watch's role in all this was to be the proverbial guinea pig, and it's doing its job very well.

And now that I've ranted, here are some crude but adequate photos of the new forged carbon parts for your evaluation.

39144902.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

48986743.jpg

46994006.jpg

57839742.jpg

26395711.jpg

• Like 1

Super cool

Make a case next :) Bumblebee's all round.

Seriously tho, well done.

There are issues with the Bumblebee case that make it impractical to reproduce at this time. Since I work from the rep parts, the case for the Bumblebee offered by the cartel is inaccurate, and I feel that it would be a waste to invest all the time and effort to make a carbon unit from it. If you're not sure what I mean with regards to inaccuracy, look at the shape of the pusher guards and positioning of the chrono pushers on both the gen and the rep.

Great work! These parts are a real pain to produce, which is why they go for so much in production form.

I'd like to get some details on how AP makes theirs. The YouTube video is not very descriptive.

Great job again mate!

I took a few extra pictures under artificial light. It's quite tricky to photograph the carbon as it'll just look black if the light isn't coming from the right direction. In these you can see that the "etching" pattern that was on the rep parts was reproduced on the carbon parts, but can be done away with rather easily if needed.

56681582.jpg

97707590.jpg

63356554.jpg

84452766.jpg

10954911.jpg

WOW!!! That is truly amazing!!! Well done!!! :tu: I am sure it is a huge pain in the ass, but in the end you set out to do something really unique and complicated and it looks like all that hard work has paid off!! Congrats! Looking forward to seeing what else you come up with!!

This is so awesome! Kudos.

Would you mind sharing how you achieved this? I am not planning to even try this myself, but the process sounds just as amazing as the product!

I consider the process of making this material to be a trade secret but I can tell you this: it's probably not as high-tech as most people think, and relies more on skill, technique and concentration than anything else.

Carbon brakes go thru a second and third very high temperature process. It sounds like these parts are just using the first stage, high pressure + heat.

The texture probably has a lot to do with the size and type of carbon strands used as well as the baking stages mentioned above. Obviously the brake makers are not concerned with cosmetic appearance.

I hope Imaknockov share a bit more about his process with us. It doesn't sounds like anyone will be copying him in a hurry and carbon forging is getting more and more common for all manor of components now so the techniques are not super secret any more.

• 1 month later...