When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The 10 Greatest Watches Of All Time

maxman

It might sound stupid, but they really should have given a new brand name for their luxury watches (or the other way around). People pay 5-6K$ for Omega which is part of the Swatch group, but you won't expect them to pay the same price for a Swatch, even if it would be the same watch, just with a different logo and brand name, would you?

Well, there's always Grand Seiko, which has been scaring the Swiss since the mid-1960s.

Hey, the Toyota Crown is a great car! But, yeah, there's a reason why you don't see them outside Japan anymore. The Volkswagen Phaeton is barely alive. On the other hand, Maybach is dead again... Bloody marketing.

Anyhow, since this is turning into a Seiko love-in, let me post a shot I took last week of a friend's NOS 6139-6002:

i-cCFDDxT-X3.jpg

• Like 1

Seiko is indeed the most under-rated watch maker in the world. Their spring drive is probably the best movement for its price (and much more). Its an amazing combination between the beauty and soul of mechanical watches to the accuracy and reliability of quartz.

However, when 95% of the watches they sell are cheap and simple <500$ quartz watches, who can blame us for overlooking them?

It might sound stupid, but they really should have given a new brand name for their luxury watches (or the other way around). People pay 5-6K$ for Omega which is part of the Swatch group, but you won't expect them to pay the same price for a Swatch, even if it would be the same watch, just with a different logo and brand name, would you?

I guess It depends on how you look at It. I look at the movement and the fit and finish. If people want to assume my $5000.00 Ananta or Grand Seiko Is no different than there $200.00 Monster...thats fine with me. Im also not looking to Impress anyone. Im also not suggesting anyone here Is.

The thing Is...people who really appreciate horology know the difference...and If they dont ...oh well.

Bmw makes a 3 series that can be purchased In basic duds for around $40.000. They also makes the 7 series 760LI with the 6.0L V12 twin turbo that gets very close to $140.000. The same can be said for MB C series and a AMG spec S series. This may not be the best example but some companys that make top of the line and very expensive products can also make average priced cars or watches or whatever for the average guy or gal.

I believe Seiko will be using the Credor name on some of these higher end pieces. But to me..It really makes no difference.

Mike

maxman: For the most part I totally agree.

At least 90% of the people I meet throughout the day don't even bother to check out my wrist. Like you, what matter to me most is how I feel about the watch, and what it means to me.

Most people that see my Speedmaster, won't give it another look. It's simple looking (although stunning IMO), and only people that know their way around watches would recognize it.

However, since like most watch fans, I can only afford a limited number of pieces for a limited price through my entire life. I must pick my watches carefully, and take into consideration many things. One of them, albeit in a low priority, is the brand image and recognition.

There are 3 reasons why this has some (again, not much) importance to me:

1. A watch collection is kind of an investment. It's value down the road is very related to the brands that are part of that collection.

2. You never know when a rainy day might come, and you'd have to sell your watches. It would probably much easier to sell a Rolex or an Omega than a Seiko.

3. Well, despite everything that I said above, sometimes it's nice that people that don't know much about watches appreciate your watch.

But again, like I said before, without any doubt, it's a great watch maker that is sadly very under-rated.

maxman: For the most part I totally agree.

At least 90% of the people I meet throughout the day don't even bother to check out my wrist. Like you, what matter to me most is how I feel about the watch, and what it means to me.

Most people that see my Speedmaster, won't give it another look. It's simple looking (although stunning IMO), and only people that know their way around watches would recognize it.

However, since like most watch fans, I can only afford a limited number of pieces for a limited price through my entire life. I must pick my watches carefully, and take into consideration many things. One of them, albeit in a low priority, is the brand image and recognition.

There are 3 reasons why this has some (again, not much) importance to me:

1. A watch collection is kind of an investment. It's value down the road is very related to the brands that are part of that collection.

2. You never know when a rainy day might come, and you'd have to sell your watches. It would probably much easier to sell a Rolex or an Omega than a Seiko.

3. Well, despite everything that I said above, sometimes it's nice that people that don't know much about watches appreciate your watch.

But again, like I said before, without any doubt, it's a great watch maker that is sadly very under-rated.

I agree...for the most part anyway. ;)

I love the SpeedMaster..one of my all time favorite watches.

Mike