When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The 10 Greatest Watches Of All Time

maxman

Of course I dont take these "greatest watches of all time" list to seriously....lets face it...different watches mean different things to a varity of different people.

But I feel overall It's a compelling list of some very nice....dare I say "Iconic" watches. Im a huge fan of the Nav and Speedy...so I was especially pleased to see these two make the list.

I dont think to many here will be terribly surprised at his top picks. These are watches In his personal collection....not a bad collection I must say.

This guy acts like a ass In some of his videos...but I feel that he sticks pretty well to the task at hand here. Enjoy. :)

Mike.

He opens himself up to the usual "WHERE'S IWC? WHERE'S SEIKO?! AARGGH!!!" criticisms, but I like his list a whole lot better than the one from Popular Mechanics last year. Y'know, "The 9 Most Important Watches in the World"?

A refresher:

1. 1794 | William Anthony's "The Pearl Star"

Why it Matters: The Pearl Star is one of the first watches with expanding hands.

For where would we be without expanding hands on our watches? :doh:

Not so keen on the guy's website, though, which looks like it would be best viewed using Eudora.

• Like 1

I appreciate most of his selections... I take issue with the Breitling Navitimer choice. Blech.

I take issue with your taking issue ;)

Most of his choices are pretty good although some of the example shots are a bit too blingy for me. Especially the gold sub with serti dial.

Laughable list.

A Navitimer? Come on... I like the watch but one of the 10 best ever made?!

How about Breguet, IWC, JLC, Vacheron, Blancpain.

How about Zenith ElPrimero, the Breitling/Heuer caliber 11's.

How about Seiko 6139?

Where is the Reverso or Richar Mille Turbillon?

Where Perrelet fits in this grand list? Or is it so insignificant? For Archie inventing the self-winding mechanism is much less important then a watch "a lot of pilots wear". Makes sense.

10 Greatest watches of all times? Give me a [censored] break.

10 Greatest watches Archie has heard about from his snob buddies over a cheap cigar last Saturday afternoon, while checking local newspaper watch ads list.

(it is a great list of the best reps under 300$, though. )

I take issue with your taking issue ;)

Most of his choices are pretty good although some of the example shots are a bit too blingy for me. Especially the gold sub with serti dial.

I agree...the Nav is a beautiful watch. I also agree with the bling thing... never cared much for gold on any watch. Just not a gold type of guy when It comes to watches.

Mike

How about Breguet, IWC, JLC, Vacheron, Blancpain.

How about Zenith ElPrimero, the Breitling/Heuer caliber 11's.

How about Seiko 6139?

Where is the Reverso or Richar Mille Turbillon?

Where Perrelet fits in this grand list? Or is it so insignificant?

C'mon, Adeo... I count at least 11 watches in your list already!

And as much as I love my Carrera, a movement as buggy and inefficient as the Cal.11 should disqualify it from any "10 Greatest" list. Unless you're arguing for the blue Monaco. In that case, Steve McQueen trumps all rational discourse.

My biggest dispute with Mr. Luxo's list is his choice of the Santos (it's still a Tank derivative, and that's already named), and the ALS. I would replace them with a Seiko Astron and an '85 Swatch Jellyfish.

But maybe I'm confused, since "Greatest" is such a nebulous adjective.

And as much as I love my Carrera, a movement as buggy and inefficient as the Cal.11 should disqualify it from any "10 Greatest" list. Unless you're arguing for the blue Monaco. In that case, Steve McQueen trumps all rational discourse.

My biggest dispute with Mr. Luxo's list is his choice of the Santos (it's still a Tank derivative, and that's already named), and the ALS. I would replace them with a Seiko Astron and an '85 Swatch Jellyfish.

I think this video should have been titled "my favorite watches" to say this or that is the greatest will always be argued....no matter what the watch.

I mean one could say that Breitling is just a Pilot watch...then another could say that the sub is just a divers watch. I honestly dont get the point there.

I cant Ignore the Seiko 6139. although the waters can get muddy on this topic. I do know that Breitling Heuer Zenith and Seiko competed to develop the world's first automatic chronograph movement..I believe the Seiko Inhouse 6139 was the first "production" automatic chronograph. Historical significance? I would have to say so.

Mike.

post-19368-0-52694700-1330506098.jpg

You guys are right, the content really doesn't match the title of the list. I actually didnt really think in those terms when watching the vid. Better name would perhaps be top 10 popular watches or maybe top 10 most recognized watches. But no matter what it is titled there could never be agreement on content as everyone will have a different opinion.

haha, right... 11...

I wasn't actually making a list, but pointing out that there are some historically and horologicaly significant pieces that must be considered in any "Greatest" list before RO, DateJust or Navitimer.

The cal 11 watches may be poor by today's standards but their significance is in their horological value, as well as el primero and 6139. All products of one of the most exciting and inventive races in a watch history and in engineering in general.

There are many, many interesting pieces in watch history, including the recent one (just check out the HD3 or Vincent Berard Luvorene 1), that question our perception of what a watch is and how its movement works, present amazing advancements (like Perrelet or Breguet) or simply innovative and beautiful from the engineering point of view.

I like his choices, just for the fact that I own #2 as well as #3's counter-part (GMT Master II).

Seiko! :lol:

When some of the so called "luxury" brands will be able to create a mechanical watch like the Credor, or any Spring Drive for that matter, then we can talk about Seiko. And even then the Seiko's contribution to horolgy is undisputed.

A simple "fiver" get's more respect from me, technology and design -wise, than some of the so called "high end" stock movement dressups.

Kudos to Seiko who Is always at the forefront of the Indurstry. While the great Swiss watch makers still rest on there laurels year after year... using modified ETA's, Seiko continually produces Improvements In the world of horology.

With over 1.000 prototypes,and nearly 40 years In development....here we have the amazing Seiko Spring Drive movement. With fit and finish second to none,and a movement which Is far more technical and precise than Swiss COSE..... Spring Drives are certainly a very special movement.

Now.. Im not saying that Seiko is a better watch than this or that brand...what I am saying is.. Seiko established In 1881.. has had a profound effect on the watch making world...and deserves to be respected In this reguard.

Mike

• Like 1

Seiko is indeed the most under-rated watch maker in the world. Their spring drive is probably the best movement for its price (and much more). Its an amazing combination between the beauty and soul of mechanical watches to the accuracy and reliability of quartz.

However, when 95% of the watches they sell are cheap and simple <500$ quartz watches, who can blame us for overlooking them?

It might sound stupid, but they really should have given a new brand name for their luxury watches (or the other way around). People pay 5-6K$ for Omega which is part of the Swatch group, but you won't expect them to pay the same price for a Swatch, even if it would be the same watch, just with a different logo and brand name, would you?