When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Daytona cases and what this journey has led to

Ephry73

As most of us are always in constant pursuit of the ultimate watch for our budget/OCD driven mind, we often make purchases solely to compare specs, or see how it fits or what parts can be salvaged or bastardized to make other watches.

With the help of a lot of contributors here, one can gather quite a lot of knowledge to achieve that grail build, or simply keep learning the hobby. I am grateful to all of those who share their knowledge and experience here.

Recently I received part of an order placed with DW's Steve (not through the DW store I need to emphasize) and I was able to compare the quality, size and specs of the DW cases(one is mystery movement supposedly- pictured-) the 7750 6239 case(came with two bezels) and the standard Cartel ST1902 6263 cases.

Th DWs are definitely smaller. 2mm smaller not including crown and pushers(will spec it out tonight more than likely). Bezels are smaller as well, but closer to gen as has been pointed out. I was happy with the size of the Cartel/Silix type, but the smaller, more correct sized DW has grown on me. The ease of Gen parts swapping has been a dream.

If anyone is looking for a nice Daytona to wear and needs a "bigger" watch, then the Cartel/Silix type is definitely for that person, however, if one is looking for a more gen like case set, perhaps to build that grail PN watch on a leather Bund strap, then DW is the man. I am glad he sort of came back to the scene.

The DW parts all take gen 19mm endlinks where the Cartel/Silix ones use a more standard 20mm end link.

I also purchased a Daytona case with no markings, correct pusher spacers and get this, full room for the 7750 with auto-winding rotor. built as a 6239 I used this movement to finish the watch I am sporting today. Only 1.5mm thicker than the DW case and takes the gen or DW bezel. I will post pictures tonight. May actualy keep this and use it on a different project down the road.

More pics to come after I get done with school work, but here's a teaser(PN as seen on the black croc bund strap on the far right)

From left to right:

Cartel/Silix type 6263 purchased last summer with gen Ofrei replacement pushers and aftermarket 703 crown and tube(love the dial on this one and the ST1902 movement is rock solid!)

Cartel/Silix case purchased to locate source for parts for above watch.

DW 6263 case for v72 movement(supposedly) will use this one for the 3ROC build when I gather parts. This may also be a mystery movement case

DW 6239 7750 movement case. This is definitely a keeper for me. Feels right. nice fit of parts.

c0db5fa0.jpg

DW 6263 (I believe this one to be for a mystery movement)case on bottom. Silix/Cartel type case on top

111265eb.jpg

As one evolves and grows in the hobby, the discerning bug definitely grows as well. Patience for parts has to be there as well as the yearning to learn more and go "deeper" into that gen abyss.

With all of that said, is there a "kit" that sits lower for the 7750 conversion to manual to use? or is everyone simply removing the rotor from their 7750 movements to fit into the DW case?

Thank you and keep sharing.

E

Not sure what you mean about a "kit" but to do it properly you also need to remove all the associated winding gears, essentially changing it to as close to a 7760 movement as you can get. The ETA 7760 was discontinued about 10 years ago. This mod also allows you to use the thinner 'mystery movement" case back.

You can get still get a 7760 chronograph wheel bridge to fully convert your movement. This is basically a flat plate that will take the place of the exposed gears, bridges etc, when you start taking off the parts to convert the auto to the manual. CousinsUk still sells them....

• Like 1

Thanks a million guys. That bridge part will definitely save me the hassle of flattening down the 7750 bridge to fit in the case correctly. This will also allow me to use the chronograph features fully. I have two miscellaneous movements in parts and I planned on putting one fully working movement together for the 6239.

Chi, you wouldn't happen to have a part number for this part? GOT IT sorry should have used the search feature. P/N 8501

Thanks guys.

E

I'm sort of curious as to the origins of the DW case and why he is the only person selling it. He's not manufacturing it himself, is he?

I just picked up a 7750 based 6263 rep. I've been wondering how it is different than a DW. Maybe it's the same? It fits a 7750 movement and it's only 38mm wide.

DaytonaVintage7.jpg

DaytonaVintage5.jpg

Edited by ajs914

That looks just like the case I was writing about with the rotor movement. Have you taken the case back off? If so, the aut-winding rotor would potentially be there based on the lovely lady hump the case back creates. ;) Any markings between the lugs?

E

Ok, the 6239 almost done. Waiting on the second sweep drive for the movement to fully engage all chrono functions. For now, it tells time(yes it tells me all of the time) and winds and does everything it needs to do whilst remaining sealed(yet to pressure test it) Cannot wait to place my order with Eric for the bund strap to have grail #2 completed(not going for the V72 movement for obvious costs reasons, but may venture that route later on)

The other dial and movement will find themselves on the 6263 case with a few mods to make sure it is all "correct" and properly working.

a8fe8999.jpg

Here, found opening a case of pistons for an old GSX-R 750 I'm working on ;)

Yes, I took the back off. This one is an automatic 7750. I ordered it that way.

No markings between the lugs.

That looks just like the case I was writing about with the rotor movement. Have you taken the case back off? If so, the aut-winding rotor would potentially be there based on the lovely lady hump the case back creates. ;) Any markings between the lugs?

E

I'm sort of curious as to the origins of the DW case and why he is the only person selling it. He's not manufacturing it himself, is he?

In terms of 7750-power, DW's claim to fame was that his cases were the 1st available (that I know of) with asymetrical pushers, which is 1 of the distinguishing features of gen 62xx Daytonas, which was lacking on all (known) previous 7750-powered 62xx Daytona cases. If you post a full frontal pic of yours, we can tell you if your case has this important feature.

I want to ask, since there are no clear definite answer I can find via google, which would be the more correct bezel to use on the PN Daytona white exotic dialed watch I'm building to keep. The Units Per Hour (200) SS bezel, or the 300 Units Per Hour one? It is hard to tell from the pictures with the gator bund strap which one he is using. I am working on the 6263 with black 3 color dial and that is an easier pick to build. However, the one that was and is and has been the grail for me is the white dialed exotic. If anyone knows that will be great. I have both bezels and currently sporting the 200 Units per Hour SS bezel.

E