When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New kid, hooked..

New here, new to reps. Been interested in mechanical watches for awhile, ever since I bought my Invicta in 2008. Before that it was all cheap quartz. Lurked for awhile, now I'm posting. I have a build or two planned. Picked up some parts from another member. They should be on their way. Bought a Sub rep after looking at building one. Its en route from China as we speak, from SuperMirrors. Even though it has the 2813 21j movement it was much cheaper than putting it together myself. I guess we have to get the sub rep out of the way if we're noobs ;). My first build is going to be an SD with a NATO strap and a gen ETA 2824-2, maybe the 2836-2?

A few years back I started looking at watches that didn't require a battery. Became familiar with terms like "complications" and "hacking". Really wanted a Rolex Sub but couldn't bring myself to part with the $3K+ it would cost. Ended up buying an Invicta Abyss with the Miyota 21j. My first automatic. At less than 2 bills it was cheap and it looked vaguley Rolex like. Still wear the hell out of it. Can't say it's been the best watch, serviced three times in two years when it broke again I stuck it in a drawer. Took it out recently and decided to fix it myself. Purchased a case back opener, screwed the rotor back on and I was hooked.

A buddy of mine purchased an ICW rep with the a7750 so I followed suit into the rep world. Being of the mechanically inclined variety I've been investing in some watch tools. Case holder, movement holder etc. looking forward to building whatever it is I dream up and putting it on my wrist. I'm thinking this could be a gratifying waste of time :). When it warms up I'll be back to wrenching on my 71 Bavaria but in the meantime I'll troll the forums for ideas and parts. When I finish the SD build I'll work up something vintage inspired to match my old bimmer.

Watches I own;

Skagen 38LGXB Japanese Quartz (21st b day present)

Invicta 2943 Black MOP dial 21j Miyota

Wenger 7701X Swiss Made quartz chrono (Xmas present)

Marathon US Government "Navigators" MIL-W-46374F type 6 Swiss Made Swiss Quartz tritium capsules (gift)

Accutime 1517 LOL! Japanese Quartz (found it in my BMW when i bought it, put a KMart band on it and replaced the battery) its now my wrenching on cars watch!

Last but not least an awesome blinged out chinese POS my daughter won in one of those claw games at a pizza joint. It's awesome. I'll post pics lol!

You'll see me in the wrist check area. Hopefully you'll like the pics. Anyways, I'll stop blabbing now.

Edited by TheRefinedSon

Welcome to RWG son. ;)

I also have a old Invicta prodiver(below) I picked up for around $100.00. It has a cheep Citizen Miyota 21j movement...but It's not given me any problems In the five years that I have had it.

Still keeps good time believe It or not.... I guess I got lucky. It's been a great beater.

Sounds to me like you have found the right place....have fun. :)

Mike

post-19368-0-09443700-1331209271.jpg

• 1 year later...

I hope you're still participating in this forum, because I had a question about your "Skagen 38LGXB Japanese Quartz" watch.

I recently purchased one of these "Skagen 38LGXB Japanese Quartz" watches on eBay without checking the band length . . . the band is so short I'm convinced the watch is really a lady's watch.

When you google "skagen 38LGXB" on the web, the only hits I'm getting are from the listing of the watch which I purchased and your mention of having one.

This must be a limited edition watch if only two people mention it on the whole web.

I don't suppose you'd know of a place to purchase extra links for this watch?

I was curious about what year this watch may have been sold . . . if you don't mind disclosing what year you received yours.

Thanks for your help.

Myron from mcphclan