When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

2824.2 problems. Stops too early and un-even graph.

So, I was just done with my franken build of a 42mm Omega Planet Ocean. I had problems with my first movement so I installed a brand new Seagull. Once done, I noticed that there was quite a bit of resistance to the winding and the time and date settings. I wound it up to see how many seconds it would gain/lose and noticed that it didn't last as long as it should - maybe 6 hours or so instead of the 36-ish that a 2824.2 is supposed to produce. I got my hands on a cheap timegrapher and the plotted line is anything but straight. It hits about +6 seconds until the seconds hand reach 3, then it drops to -30/-40 until the seconds hand reach 6. Then it goes back to normal again.

Opening the case and winding it I noticed that it had a bit of an unpleasant sound when winding.

The button releasing the stem was incredibly stiff the first time, and I was worried that I might have hit deep enough for the keyless to come loose. What do you think?

I tried the Seagull movement when I got it and it ticked on for at least 24 hours so I didn't get a faulty movement.

Edited by Lovecraft

So you replaced da ETA 2824 wid da Seagull TY2130? Was da Seagull serviced before you installed it?

sm iiH!

Yes, according to the seller it was serviced - but apart from that brand new. I also tried it before installing it and it seemed to be working just fine.

Did you use the dial spacer from the 2824 or the correct one for the Seagull 2836-2 clone? Could be you're binding up the stem in the case maybe with the wrong dial spacer?

Do you mean the very thin spacer between the dial and the movement? I used the one that came with the Seagull movement. If you mean the thick (copper) spacer between the case and movement/dial then no, I used the old one.

Actually, I thought that it might be the thick spacer that was the problem so I removed the movement, put it back again with the spacer just fastened very, very lightly. I still got the same problem but with much less effect. I dropped maybe 10-15 seconds instead of 40 during the 3-6 quadrant. It still sounded horrible when winding it though, and very stiff. Way too much resistance. I tried it without a case and got the same figures.

I figured I'd give the keyless a go, and disassembled/assembled it. The winding and date set sounded/felt/worked perfectly afterwards, but the time set wouldn't work so I missed something in the reassembly. That's how far I got though. I'm thinking that hopefully it's possible to fix the stiffness by putting together the keyless properly, but I don't know yet.

Also, is it possible that I could have ruined the movement by winding it too much and that's the reason it sounds that way?

I meant the little spacer so you have that right I have no idea about the stiffness other than I'm sure you can't hurt the movement by overwinding it.

As for the times set, you probably forgot to re-set the spring arm in this picture:

Keyless.jpg

I did set the spring arm, however thank you very much for the very visual and great help/explanation.

I've disassembled and assembled the movement a few times, putting it back in the case - carefully checking each step in the grapher to make sure nothing funky has happened. Everything went fine until I put in the crown and screwed it on. Before that it had been a nice -1 to +3 in all angles, but now it jumped to +10 to +14. Maybe slightly too long stem?

I'm thinking now that the earlier problems with the crazy time graph in the 3-6 area of the seconds sweep was because the larger spacer between the movement and case was slightly askew.

Either way, I'm leaving it like this now and trying it out by wearing it. It seems fine and hopefully it won't stop.