When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hollow links, or solid links on Explorer I ?

Bardamu

Hi,

Few days ago, I received my first rep from a trusted dealer, very well known on this forum. It's a Rolex Explorer I (14270).

The watch looks really nice : case, dial, hands, I'm fully satisfied with it, out of the box.

The band looks nice also when you just have a look at it, BUT... there is something strange. The band is very light, because it is built with hollow links, and when I first took the watch in hand, it looked very cheap because of this lightness. So cheap, so fake !

I told it to the trusted dealer, and he answered that band is made with hollow links on the gen. Is it true ? I know that Rolex used hollow links few years ago, but I'm surprised that they don't use solid links for more recent production.

Could anybody confirm that point ?

Picture of the watch : rvdi7l.jpg

Thanks in advance for your comments,

Paul

Hollow mid links is correct, but it seems like one of the recent models- maybe the latest DJ- had solid mid links, or was it the YachtMaster....

That's why everyone loved the noobmariner 5 years ago- the bracelet had the correct hollow mid-links!

Thanks for this prompt answer. My Explorer I is the 36 mm one, not the 39 mm launched in 2010. As the 36 mm model is much older than the 39 mm, maybe Rolex kept "old fashion bands" with hollow links. :g:

It seems incredible for me that a gen Rolex is sold with hollow links instead of solid links. :fool:

Paul

That's part of the charm, and also the reason why many thinks Rolex are overpriced junk... I think they were meant to be lightweight and comfortable in the old days.

Today they're using solid links which gives them a heavier more expensive feel and also lasts longer.

Today they're using solid links which gives them a heavier more expensive feel and also lasts longer.

I doubt that it lasts longer.

If a bracelet breaks the connecting pins are worn out but not the middle links.

The heavier the complete watch, the more wear it will produce to the pins...

Dee