When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

2892 v. 2824

fidhle007

I have a 2824-powerd Planet Ocean that is in need of some serious help and I've decided that rather then send it out for service perhaps it's time for an upgraded powerplant. I've read that ALL 2892 movements were Elabore grade and above and I've just found a seller on Ebay who's selling Elabore grade 2824 movements as well. The 2824 is about $50 more but it's a direct swap so my question is this: which one would you use and why?

Thanks!

Brendan

Planet Ocean's used to be fitted with a Omega 2500C which is a modified 2892-A2. If the case dimensions are similar to a genuine I don't see why you can't fit in a better movement. However, I really have no knowledge of reps so don't take my word for it.

I think in this case you need to understand a bit more about the differences in the movements not just the decorative finishes which elabor is just a finish !

Search on google for 2892 and the Little Engine that can" and learn about the mechanics of the movements and then your question will be answered along with many more

I think in this case you need to understand a bit more about the differences in the movements not just the decorative finishes which elabor is just a finish !

Search on google for 2892 and the Little Engine that can" and learn about the mechanics of the movements and then your question will be answered along with many more

Elabore is not just a finish. There are actual mechanical difference between the grades.

Standard Nivaflex NO, Nivarox 2 Two positions CH, 6H +- 12sec/day +- 30 sec/day 30s

Elabore Nivaflex NO, Nivarox 2 Three positions CH, 6H, 9H +- 7 sec/day +- 15 sec/day 20s

Top Nivaflex NM, Anachron Five positions CH, FH, 6H, 9H, 3H +- 4 sec/day +- 10 sec/day 15s

Chronometer Nivaflex NM, Anachron, same as top, but with chronometer certification from COSC. Five positions and temperature CH, FH, 6H, 9H, 3H COSC COSC COSC

Elabore is not just a finish. There are actual mechanical difference between the grades.

"Elabore" is French for "elaborate / decorated"

Anyone can easily see here that the movements are identical. ETA simply expends more effort to set the timing on one, than the other, by which I mean Elabore is timed in 3 positions, instead of the two positions for the Standard form. Timing in each position takes time and skill to execute.

SO what did we learn here? Elabore movements are Standard movements which has been more carefully timed, and decorated with pearlage.

28241.jpg

"Elabore" is French for "elaborate / decorated"

Anyone can easily see here that the movements are identical. ETA simply expends more effort to set the timing on one, than the other, by which I mean Elabore is timed in 3 positions, instead of the two positions for the Standard form. Timing in each position takes time and skill to execute.

SO what did we learn here? Elabore movements are Standard movements which has been more carefully timed, and decorated with pearlage.

28241.jpg

Thanks for that. I stand corrected.

I just reviewed the photos of the Elabore 2824 and it does indeed have the better shock protection (I forget what it's called.) Granted, every 2892 I've seen has this as well but at least it's nice to know it would be a step up from the 2824 I have now while still being a direct swap...