When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Info on waterproofing a 7750?

homesicktexan

I've had couple of 21j reps that I've waterproofed as the only entry point was the caseback, crown and faux He valve. I just bought a TAG Carrera Calibre 16 41mm with an A7750 and I'd like to at least make it water resistant so I can wash my hands with it, clean it under the faucet, etc. Is there any info or guide to sealing the chrono pushers and crown? It isn't a screwdown crown so I have no idea what (if any) water prevention devices are in place and I don't really want to tear it apart without some idea of what I'm looking for. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

The rep of the Tudor Heritage doesn't have a screw down crown, but it's still water resistant. With my plastic submariner, although that doesn't have a screw down crown, it is also waterproof, but having taken it apart, I know that the crown has two small o-rings on the cuff which screws onto the stem, and I wonder if the Heritage (and possibly your Tag) might employ a similar system :) Only way to know for sure, is to either strip it down to see what's in place, or, run a faucet full force, hold the watch under the flow, and see what happens - Just be ready to strip it down quickly if it does flood :tu:

Most seikos with SQ100 and 150 dont have screw down crowns either and are still water resistant, you just need to check the o rings are in good condition, in place and lubed, but the only way to be certain is to get a watch smith to check it in a vacume or pressure tester.

I usually check my reps by a quick dunk in really hot water. I figure that the cooler air inside the case will expand creating bubbles if there is a leak, rather than water coming in. I might try with the Carrera, just didn't know if there was even any protection inside the chrono pushers.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

I have seen many people state that their Omega SMP chronos and breitling Super Avengers and regular Avengers are fine. I used to have an Avenger and it was fine for swimming.

So just because its a chrono doesn't mean its no good. Only way to be sure is to test really

All I can say, is if someone can strip the watch themself, it's no hassle to dunk it under a running faucet, and swiftly strip it if needbe... If not, then by all means go to somewhere that can use a professional pressure tester. As I've said quite a bit lately though, chances are the watch will be water resistant :victory: