When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

NOOB 3714 Question

iceshark099

I am in the market for an IWC 3714 and I know about the movement problems but I read somewhere on this forum that a service would keep the watch running as long as it was done right when you get the watch and again every 12-18 months and if you hack it when you are not using it, is that true and if so who would be able to do that in the US? At some point I want to swap out the movement but I don't have the money for that right now. So in the mean time I want to wear it but keep it from dying at the same time.

Thanks for the help guys!

These a lot of mixed reports. Rolexman seems to be the guy to get in touch with. I think Domi also services them, but is some controversy if you have a deep read. Im sure either would probably keep you ticking till you could upgrade. Worst case could get a replacement rep movement!

These a lot of mixed reports. Rolexman seems to be the guy to get in touch with. I think Domi also services them, but is some controversy if you have a deep read. Im sure either would probably keep you ticking till you could upgrade. Worst case could get a replacement rep movement!

How easy is it to get a replacement movement? I couldn't find one on the interwebz.

I suppose a properly serviced movement is better off than a new one anyway

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I think service is not the right word. What people do to make the A7750 more reliable is do a graphite treatment. Do a search on that.

New movement would be around $100. Getting the movement out of the case is a pain in the a$$.

So basically I think we all want to know is if it is safe to buy it or are we basically wasting money on it? I know I want one but I think I would want to get it serviced first, not graphite treatment but a service as someone else mentioned in another post about this watch, that the newer versions wouldn't benefit from graphite treatment, I could be misinformed though.

So basically I think we all want to know is if it is safe to buy it or are we basically wasting money on it? I know I want one but I think I would want to get it serviced first, not graphite treatment but a service as someone else mentioned in another post about this watch, that the newer versions wouldn't benefit from graphite treatment, I could be misinformed though.

I just made a post on this topic

http://www.rwg.cc/topic/145132-portuguese-seconds-at-six-some-facts/

I have not seen any credible data that answers your question. I have placed a 3714 on a winder after it was fully serviced and it stopped working after 3 months. Of course, this is just a random data point.

Did a postmortem of the watch reveal the cause of death? Was it the additional gears of the power-train OR a problem with the 7750 internals?

The metal to metal friction of gear 3 and gear 4 of the nine to six transfer gears stopped the watch. When these gears were removed the watch continued to work. I have since replaced the jewels of gears 2, 3, and 4 to eliminate all metal to metal friction. I am testing how much of an improvement this is. The main problems, however, remain, namely too much overall friction because of the size of the jewels and axis and because these gears can't hold normal watch lubricants.

The metal to metal friction of gear 3 and gear 4 of the nine to six transfer gears stopped the watch. When these gears were removed the watch continued to work. I have since replaced the jewels of gears 2, 3, and 4 to eliminate all metal to metal friction. I am testing how much of an improvement this is. The main problems, however, remain, namely too much overall friction because of the size of the jewels and axis and because these gears can't hold normal watch lubricants.

I'm glad to see you have make this a pet project. Perhaps you can crack this problem wide open.

Thanks and good luck to you.

Just wear it and it will wind. Or 'shake it' with your hand as if you were dealing a deck of cards.

thanks. just got to to work. had to pull the crown all the way out. is it more proper to wind it clockwise or counterclockwise?

also, how do i remove the straps?

thanks. just got to to work. had to pull the crown all the way out. is it more proper to wind it clockwise or counterclockwise?

also, how do i remove the straps?

i read a spring bar tool is needed but is there another home-made way?

Edited by Guest

The 7750 movement Swiss or Asian suffer from a weak winding gear. If you wind it by turning the crown clockwise, do it slowly and gently or you can strip off the gear teeth.

If you do not move around much every day because you are a desk jockey, you will need to invest in a watch winder or your watch will simply stop due to your inactivity.

A 7750 movement needs 800 swings of your wrist per day to be fully wound. So you see, if you work in an office that's not going to happen.

Place the watch in the palm of your hand, face up, with the strap wrapped around your hand. Swirl your hand like you are swirling a drink in a glass. Only 800 of those and you're wound! That's why people buy watch winders.

One last thing. 7750 only winds in one direction. If you swirl it the wrong way you're just wasting your time.