When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Restoring an Angelus Cal 240, new longer cannon/hour/sec posts

Nice work Zig. I am very glad there are skilled craftsman and watchsmith like you around.

While I agree that general interest has faded for all things mechanical and precision, a small dedicated group of individuals will always exist.

I am very heartened to see 'Maker' workshops popping up all over the US for people to get together and hack/build or experiment with just about anything. These are places where curious folks share experience, tools and ideas. So, not watchmakers per se, but the same set of individuals who like to know how things work, create new things and who appreciate mechanisms like vintage watch works.

A bit off the topic, yes, but I'm sure many of us on these fora are that type.

Zig, is of course a master and most of us neophytes.

Sent from my BB

• 1 month later...

Hi The Zigmeister, I was told to post on one of your wall regarding mods. I am located in Canada and would like to start a SOH project. I'm in the mids of sourcing gen parts and would like some advice from you and perhaps book a date if you accept this project. Please do get back to me thank you.

Great skills Zig :notworthy:

I'm amazed at the dedication you have with your trade, as others have said they are few and far between these days! Your photo skills aren't to shabby either :inverted:

Somehow I missed this on the first pass.

Zig, a couple of questions for you:

1.) Did you use something like one-dip on the hair spring / balance, or something else?

2.) Did you remove the jewels prior to parts washing?

Amazing work!

Also surprised I missed this one. Great post as always Zig! Would love to see shots of the work in progress if you ever have time. Seeing parts with these sort of tolerances chucked up in a lathe would be very cool.

Did you say you had to hand turn the 4th wheel pinion? How slowly can you turn it and yet still yield a usable result?