When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Super Panerai 1950 project is DONE!

marlin22

OK guys,

I am done; I took a lot of the comments given to me by you in my last thread and incorporated it into this watch. Please continue, tell me how I can make it better.

This watch is based on a used Noob 127 bought on this forum, the previous thread was a prototype based on a DSN. I used the case, dial, hands, crystal, bridges, and all movement components were from the stock Noob. The only exceptions were the mainplate, incabloc, dagger, ratchet and crown wheel. I tried to keep any gen. part to a minimum, when I say gen. I mean ETA components not Panera, no Panerai parts were used on this build, but enough talk let’s get to the pictures…

127-Smod19.jpg

127-Smod18.jpg

127-Smod1.jpg

127-Smod8.jpg

127-Smod10.jpg

127-Smod5.jpg

127-Smod9.jpg

And now the back…

127-Smod6.jpg

127-Smod16.jpg

127-Smod-1.jpg

127-Smod17.jpg

127-Smod15.jpg

127-Smod14.jpg

127-Smod13.jpg

127-Smod12.jpg

127-Smod11.jpg

Here you can see the balance wheel that come with the ETA or Swiss 6497, you can also see the flat dagger regulator, for some reason they are flat on the Noob movement. This is not the case on the gen. 127, it is the same thickness as the swan neck.

127-Smod21.jpg

127-Smod20.jpg

List of MODS:

1. ETA Movement mainplate

2. Changed ETA balance wheel for rep. for more gen. look

3. Used Noob bridges

4. Changed thin dagger regulator with thick Noob dagger that comes with their Genève movement

5. Used eta barrel gears

6. Polished ratchet and crown wheel bevels (later replaced with gen.)

7. Replaced incabloc shock system with Y incabloc

8. Tightened CG lever and recessed pin

9. Cleaned, oiled and adjusted

10. Shaved down and refinished CG

Only gen. (ETA) parts are:

1. 6497-1 mainplate

2. Polished barrel gears (ratchet and crown wheel)

3. Incabloc shock system

I am also modding up a Pam 253 and I am looking to buy a used Noob 217 to do next.

Thanks for looking, and give me some more comments on how to better this watch.

Edited by marlin22

Absolutely no expert but a lover of this model ( in facts it was my 2nd rep that i bought and sold a long time ago ).

Very very nice built i would like to have one of these so time again.

Carpe Diem

Cats

Update:

Gone are the ugly yellow rep font, replaced with more gen. looking gold leaf....

127-Smod24.jpg

The project continues....

That was a really nice upgrade :)

I can not understand why the factories have used Yellow paint instead of gold paint when it is such an easy thing to right :g:

BTW the swanneck screw fits perfectly from the H-factory 6497-1 movements but You have to be careful and it a little tricky to screw it in as the screw is so tiny and can almost dissapear into the movement but it looks much better than the seagull swanneck screw ;)

I have no idea without seeing it on a watch. As I mentioned earlier I would prefer a DSN or an old Eddie Lee. They don't have enough distortion relative to the gen but the Noob does crazy things with the 6 and 9 that I have never seen on the gen watch. For me it would be much more of a tell than not enough distortion.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello RWG! I'm a newbie here.

A nice watch! Although the pams look similar since its revival in 1993, and thanks to Sly in 1995...I prefer the 127 over the 372 since the 127 was the first to pay homage to the orig 6152. And correct me if I am wrong but does the reference "1950" on the dial refer to the last year that rolex provided movements to Panerai for these 47mm watches? I think rolex provided movements to Panerai around 1936 - 1950's ?

Love the pics!

-Leo