When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Has This Happened To You ?

Richard Tracy

I'm embarrassed, to admit this to some of you who recall some of my posts trouncing these watches..

But,.. after three years, of fighting it,.. I can now see the beauty in AP,...

Just purchased a Royal Oak,..S/S White dial with the gold bolts... :wub:

{though I must admit that I feel a bit sorry for those locked in bolts with the screw slots

which can never be turned...}

Also now crave a Patek Nautilus,.. Stick Markers, and no power reserve..pure simplicity

{Still however find the Aquanaut an Eye Sore}

I guess I should have looked away whenever a photo of those models popped up,

because if you look at anything long enough.. it starts to grow on you... :wounded1:

I feel now a little lost.. with less and less watches to hate or laugh at....but one I'm sure I will

never get weak for....The Chrono Fighter,.. only watch with a built-in-Trigger...

What's up with that ??? :lol:

I know I'm not alone... come on.. admit how that most ugly girl snagged your heart...

I'm embarrassed, to admit this to some of you who recall some of my posts trouncing these watches..

But,.. after three years, of fighting it,.. I can now see the beauty in AP,...

Just purchased a Royal Oak,..S/S White dial with the gold bolts... :wub:

{though I must admit that I feel a bit sorry for those locked in bolts with the screw slots

which will never be turned...}

Also now crave a Patek Nautilus,.. Stick Markers, and no power reserve..pure simplicity

{Still however find the Aquanaut an Eye Sore}

I guess I should have looked away whenever a photo of those models popped up,

because if you look at anything long enough.. it starts to grow on you... :wounded1:

I feel now a little lost.. with less and less watches to hate or laugh at....but one I'm sure I will

never get weak for....The Chrono Fighter,.. only watch with a built-in-Trigger...

What's up with that ??? :lol:

I know I'm not alone... come on.. admit how that most ugly girl snagged your heart...

It's called age DT :( .. I am also feeling a bit of wanting for these 80s style watches :Jumpy: The WM Patek jumbo I saw last week was somehow beautiful to me, and I don't understand my slight moving away from tool watches.

I might get to try the APRO soon too, we'll see how it goes :whistling:

Always liked the AP RO, so no problems there :group:

Enjoy it! :1a:

Now one that DID grow on me is Panerai... when I first came to see reps, I saw everyone was PAM crazy and couldn't understand it... until I got one myself. :whistling:

OK, as some of you know, I am not a fan of PAM's. I even TRIED to like it by purchasing a Titanium logo 005 with 2 straps (one leather and one rubber). It still didn't make me crazy like some Pateks, Rollies, and Omegas. Then, someone sent me a Luminor Marina as a gift...and still nothing. I keep it because it was a gift and it means more to me because of that fact.

However...I just do not see the big deal with the AP Jumbo or Royal Oak or whatever it's called. Just strange looking and bulky. :yuk:

Me > :bicycle: < Pam and RO fans

Absolutely... I've always looked at the Nautilus from a very far distance thinking to myself 'what on earth were they thinking??

And now... I have one in my collection (and it's one of my favorites).

144773-15911.jpg

Funny how tastes change, and styles once thought of as repulsive now have an unusual allure to them.

Oh yeah... I have one of these too...

144773-15912.jpg

But, to be fair... I've always loved the Royal Oak.

AMK- You'd be surprised how big the Royal Oaks actually wear. Their diameter across 9:00 to 3:00 might sound small... But the case wears much larger because of it's lug to lug measurement (and inherently, the lack of lugs as the bracelet blends into the case). Give one a try... You might be surprised!

:)

W-

Not sure if the gen dial would fit... It's possible, but without actually trying to physically fit it, it's hard to say. Of course, the datewheel needs to be lined up in the window, and more importantly, the dial needs to fit the case...

I believe people have fit gen dials in the Nautilus... But the AP... I'm not so sure...

Absolutely... I've always looked at the Nautilus from a very far distance thinking to myself 'what on earth were they thinking??

And now... I have one in my collection (and it's one of my favorites).

144826-15902.jpg

Funny how tastes change, and styles once thought of as repulsive now have an unusual allure to them.

Oh yeah... I have one of these too...

144826-15903.jpg

But, to be fair... I've always loved the Royal Oak.

AMK- You'd be surprised how big the Royal Oaks actually wear. Their diameter across 9:00 to 3:00 might sound small... But the case wears much larger because of it's lug to lug measurement (and inherently, the lack of lugs as the bracelet blends into the case). Give one a try... You might be surprised!

Actually Ubi, It was your photos of the Nauti that began my transformation.... :D

I believe you purchased yours from another member, however do you know which

dealer carries those ? ^_^

It's called age DT :( .. I am also feeling a bit of wanting for these 80s style watches :Jumpy: The WM Patek jumbo I saw last week was somehow beautiful to me, and I don't understand my slight moving away from tool watches.

I might get to try the APRO soon too, we'll see how it goes :whistling:

I think you may be right Swdivad.... ^_^

I also am finding myself moving away a bit from tool watches.... something I swore I

would never do.... :whistling:

Actually Ubi, It was your photos of the Nauti that began my transformation.... :D

I believe you purchased yours from another member, however do you know which

dealer carries those ? ^_^

Thanks, K.

I was actually blessed and gifted this watch by Omni. By his generousity, I am the owner of this great Nautiuls, which happens to be a TW Best. Not sure if these are available any longer; nor who would carry them.

These days, watchmaster's Jumbo Nauti is the one I'd get... Since the TW Best has set sail for retirement, WM's is the one to have...

This is a good thread. I think the Pams are probably the most obvious answer that one would give. For me, I didn't really understand the fuss initially, but am warming up to them. I would like to have atleast one in my collection.

The watches that are becoming more appealing to me are the IWC Ingenieur and the VC Overseas.

It's not so much that they were visually unappealing to me initially- but rather that they're somewhat unknown to non-watch people....and as a result, me being the type of show-boaty younger person who is interested in watches as a semi-obvious status-symbol, and therefore wanting whichever ones I choose to be somewhat identifiable even to non-WIS...those watches didn't really carry much appeal.

But now, I like their styling and their more upscale and yet tool-ish appearance (I know these are probably not standard perceptions of these two watches among WIS). I'm not sure if I'll actually purchase one of these...but they're starting to grow on me.

I don't know whether I like the white-dialed Overseas better, or the groupbuy IWC Ingenieur better. I guess the IWC is probably the more accurate rep...?