When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 6263 Project

Believer that it's a bunch of shill bids? Yes... I believe it's a bunch of shill bids.

Since you have a vested interest in the subject, of course you're going to pump this up as much as you can. But I maintain my opinion... Who in their right mind, or warped perspective is going to drop that much for a fake? You can have nice genuines at that price. Hell, I've even gone on to show that for $18k, one can have a genuine vintage Daytona; with people spending this much money on a fake, a few thousand more for something real should be no problem for them, as they're willing to throw so much money away into a worthless object. And yes... It is worthless. It will never have the provenance or prestige of being genuine. So, why bother sinking that money into it? If you're building it... That's one thing. You may have different reasons for building... I know I've dropped $3k into my EP400 Daytona... But I have no intentions of selling as it carries too much sentimental value with me.

So, for all you franken builders out there... go out, buy a bunch of V72 cases and movements. Put them together and build a small fortune on eBay!

And I'd still like to see these completed auctions in which a Daytona sold for $12k...

Yes... My perception of reality is that a franken 6263/5 can logically sell for $4k to $5k on the Bay. This is considering that it costs $2.5k to $3k to build it (even if you have to have your watchsmith put it together). That, to me is realistic. Or perhaps I am grossly out of touch, and maybe I should start buying V72's and cases from David to turn a 5x profit?

At any rate... $12k (yes, that's $12,000.00 US Dollars) for a fake just doesn't make sense to me. Does it make sense to anyone else? Like I said... Maybe it's just me who needs a reality check.

At any rate... $12k (yes, that's $12,000.00 US Dollars) for a fake just doesn't make sense to me. Does it make sense to anyone else?

Nope, it doesn't make sense to me either (I paid an average of $1200 each for my two VJ72 Daytona's, including movement work). But apparently, there are a few people out there with more money than sense, and they happen to shop on eBay.

$12,000 was the high end of my range (sorry I didn't bookmark any of the earlier auctions, but I was just a casual observer...I wasn't shopping). But I'm quite confident that high quality Daytona reps will sell from $6000 to $10,000 all day long (as long as eBay allows it, that is).

I don't think you need a reality check, Randy. But I do think that, concerning this topic, your thinking is far too logical.

I dunno, Tony. I think if any auction is ending in ranges that high, there is foul play amidst- either shill bids, or someone buying the watch in hopes to flip it, represented as a genuine for unscroupulous gains. I mean, for one.... If one has that much cash, liquid or credit, that he or she is willing to spend on something with non-genuine known origin, why not just buy a gen? At least then you have an investment. I've demonstrated that these watches are certainly available in a price bracket that isn't that far of a stretch. Certainly not that big of a difference for someone willing to drop that much cheddar on any watch, let alone a frankenstein.

So... For me... I'm looking at it from this angle- Why bother putting the money into something that:

1) Will not pass as genuine to vintage collectors (they know better and know what details to look for).

2) Will not pass as genuine to any RSC.

3) Will never be mistaken for genuine and sold for $80k to $100k at Christie's, Sotheby's, Antiquorum etc. in 5 years.

A rep is a rep is a rep. It's certainly not an investment. And, for me... When it comes to money, I think as logically as possible with my purchases. I work too hard for it just to carelessly [censored] it away. I only wish I had that luxury...

@2671,

Sorry for straying off topic. I hope that you've at least found the discussion interesting.

You folks had made lots of good points that I am still trying to catch on... :p

$3K for a Ebel 16520, and $1.2K for a completed VJ72 6263 rep (what is your recipe if you don't mind share)! I am envy of you guys finding parts so cheap... The last brand new VJ72 LeCoultre on eBay, seller wanted $1K...

I look up to you folks for infomation that ordinary watchmakers won't have or won't share... it's a hidden treasure. I bet you folks have more than one geniune Daytonas but they won't be on your wrists much more than your reps! If I were one of you receiving compliments wearing these "almost perfect" reps that will fool 99.9% people out there, I'd feel X times better than wearing the gens... it's an achievement because I built it! I am working towards it...

Thanks guys.

Pat

The last brand new VJ72 LeCoultre on eBay, seller wanted $1K...

Pat

This is what the VJ72 normally sells for, but there are always people who do not know what a VJ72 is worth and they do not know how to sell it. So therefore if you are patient enough, and search for VJ72 movements thoroghly, you will find movements for around 500USD...

Recently i bought a 726 movement for 455USD....

David is smart enough to know that selling engraved parts on eBay, and shipping them through customs, can be the source of hassles. You might want to contact him through one of his auctions, to see if he'll give you a price for an engraved case.

Did just that, and he did. Bracelet clasp is not stamped though.