When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pre-A 009

ubiquitous

I've had this old Jimmy case that my good friend watchmeister gifted to me several years back. This case has housed numerous different movements and dials; most recently it was configured as a Pre-A 002:

IMG_6693.jpg

I had sent the case/crown/CG up to Zigmeister for his most recent PVD run a few months back; well, today I got the case back and although I knew the finished product would be awesome, I wasn't quite prepared for how awesome the finish truly was. The pics are hurried and for that, I apologize, but I was pretty excited to get this one back together again :)

001.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

014.jpg

017.jpg

019.jpg

024.jpg

Wrist shot:

027.jpg

And with my w0lf-case 201/A:

025.jpg

:)

Thanks for looking!

//ubi

Looks great. Didn't take you long to get this one together...wow...

Amazing what results you can get when you use the same factory for PVD coating that Panerai used...there is no comparison that's for sure. Perfect finish, perfect colour, no orange peel plastic coating effect, just a beautiful dynamic colour that you can't take your eyes off. :)

Enjoy, especially the ageing of the PVD as you wear it and it takes on it's own patina.

Thanks much for the kind words, gang :)

Here's the recipe list on this one...

-Jimmy Fzu case with PVD treatment from The Zigmeister

-Genuine Pre era crown (double gaskets on the flange) also PVD'd

-C3 sapphire crystal

-Gen 004/009 Pre-A dial

Kidding! FGD dial with awesome luminous application and satin top coat by none other than The Zigmeister (who else?)

-FGD hands also given the lume treatment by Zig

-Old ‘Dirk’ strap (one of the straps with the Dirk name, made from the same leather from the same supplier but not actually sold by Dirk) with sewn in PVD Logo buckle ;)

The watch in hand has a very dynamic color and tone to it as Zigmeister mentioned. It's very rich and deep, very smooth. I've had PVD and DLC watches before, but none with a finish as nice as this!

Gonna try and get some better pics sometime today/tomorrow... Free of smudges and fingerprints and all. After seeing my initial pics, I realized that I gotta give it a rinse and clean... :lol:

030.jpg

A tip: get some Gun Bluing Oil and wipe it down. Eliminates the smudges and fingerprints you constantly get on the PVD...

Very interesting, DL. Does the bluing oil change or alter the color of the PVD? i.e. make it darker?

Perfection! Another one of your builds that has me inspired!

And if the PVD looks that good in the pics, I can only imagine what it looks like in the metal.

Thank you, sir. Coming from you, I hold these comments in very high regard! -_-

Very interesting, DL. Does the bluing oil change or alter the color of the PVD? i.e. make it darker?

No because it is not exposed steel being coated. It does, however, do an effective job at preventing the smudges and prints. learned that trick from Avitt

PVD, from my experience has been pretty durable. I think DLC is a little more resilient to knocks, but I'll gladly sacrifice a little in that regard for the more organic appearance and finish of PVD as I don't regularly subject my watches to any tremendous amount of physical abuse :) Regardless, I have seen instances where PVD can chip, exposing the base metal underneath. But I've not seen it flake away, mostly due to the manner I suspect in which PVD is applied (the process involves the coating, starting as a solid or liquid evaporating into a gas and physically bonding via deposition to the surface of the base object). I'm no scientist, so if I've butchered that concept in explanation, please feel free to correct (that is just how I've come to understand the process).

I am looking forward to seeing how the surface ages and patinas over time; I think that may be the overall appeal for me in having a watch with this type of coating. The individual character that it takes on with patina to make it my own is something I have great anticipation for :)

Wow, absolutely gorgeous. Congrats on a great project. The bluing oil is a great idea. But I would also suggest going the other way when putting it away for a while. I rub the whole case with my hands to leave skin oil on the case. I have no idea whether it does anything but I like to think I am speeding up the Patina.