When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Best aftermarket insert for SD

triplehd

Just picked up a classic SD (from Trusty) after parting with an original SSD v2 a month or so ago.

Not bad - nice bank for the buck. However, not too crazy about the insert/pearl. I know WM pearl is the way to go. My question is for all my Rollie experts out there - which is the best aftermarket insert? Does WM make good inserts?

What about these?

http://www.ebay.com/...4d#ht_751wt_952

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEADWELLER-BEZEL-INSERT-ROLEX-16660-SAPPHIRE-BLACK-/260922194653?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc02cbadd#ht_3587wt_1139

Go gen, it's a fairly inexpensive mod and makes the watch look better than any aftermarket insert.

Watchmaterial pearls are hit and miss, if you order some, get a few because one in three will be good.

Some of them have a very small lume area and with the crazy shipping cost you might as well order several.

Another issue with them is the metal surround has a slight yellow tint.

Here's my SSD with wm pearl. It's a gen insert, but the pearl shattered so for a quick fix I put a wm pearl in it.

0c51481f.jpg

cba138d4.jpg

I wouldnt mind getting a gen insert - but the insert will cost as much as the watch :) But if i were to go gen - i would need the 14060 insert instead of the 16600 insert?

i could always just change the pearl to a WM pearl and be done with the insert.

Do you notice in my pictures the pearl is a tiny bit small and the light yellow tint to the surround?

Almost all my subs and SD's have gen inserts, once you see the real thing it spoils you.

Not sure about what insert fits what model SD, but there is a new old stock 14060 insert on VRF for 90$

16600's is different from 14060

16600 : outer-36.65mm inner-29.7

14060 : outer-36.55mm inner-29.7

Yeah, but do we know the rep/SSD size?

The insert in mine is gen w wm pearl. When I bought this watch the seller tossed in a couple gen inserts.

They fit, but I dont know what gen model they are for. Does anyone know what gen insert models fit the SSD?

Same as you Woof, when I bought my SSD the seller also included a gen insert in the deal. It was a factory sealed Rolex 16600 with the micro chip thingy in the box. I never tried to fit it on my SSD because it has a WM pearl already. I gave the insert to Ephry and I think he said it did fit the SSD cases he has.

If he stops by here he can clear it up for us.