When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help picking first Rolex rep

MapsMoney

They have piles of cases, dials, bracelets and bezels. If you ask for a combination they do not have in stock they can assemble one easily. If you look at the Datejust area of a TD web site you will literally see 100 watches, each a unique combination.I'm not a Datejust man so I can not say what the "best" is.

Okay guys, I've been doing tons of research this past week and have narrowed my picks down...

I'm about to order a ultra/franken TW SUB from BK, with gen insert, tube, crystal, CG, etc... and most likely try and pick up a gen bracelet if I can find one for a decent price, the price is a bit high but it's going to hold value and look really nice so I figured why not!

I've decided I'm not longer going to buy a rep unless I'm going to get it fully modded to franken status in the future, (or catch and release) , My pockets may hate me for this decision but hey; why not? :)

I'm looking at some Daytonas, I see their pretty hard to come by Franken; is there one I could buy out of box that can potentially be modded with gen parts in the future ? I just don't wan to drop 300-400$ on something that's case is too small or won't fit real parts...

I know I'm a rollie newb but you guys all know your stuff so I'd assume you can help me out!

Thanks a bunch

Given the above comments, then a Submariner should fit your needs perfectly :good: I would equally advise against buying the TC sub outright just in case, but, if you literally just want to give the watch a try, for this price, I'd highly recommend this watch and seller. They might not be on the forum's 'trusted dealer' list, but I've never had an issue with them, and only buy from anyone else if they don't have the specific watch I'm looking for :)

http://www.cqout.com...asp?id=14764583

PS Before anyone starts whining about 'scams' and 'only using the trusted dealers' or any such BS, the site uses an inhouse escrow service which is more secure than any TD offering. I'm personally vouching for this seller and their high standards, so if anyone wants to cry foul, you'll be calling me a liar...

At that price I've ordered one. Let's see how it looks when it arrives :good:

At that price I've ordered one. Let's see how it looks when it arrives :good:

Awesome, I hope you'll like it :) As mentioned, while some of the little details like clasp engravings are less than perfect, overall, the watch itself is a beaut :good::drinks:

Not a big deal, I have a gen clasp on the way also!

Can you guys direct me to other watch makers/modders here? If i purchased gen parts from a source of mine is there someone who can build me a nice franken piece (for the right price) ? I'm really interested in a Date Just, Seems not many cases can fit it though, I'd love a franken!

Not a big deal, I have a gen clasp on the way also!

Can you guys direct me to other watch makers/modders here? If i purchased gen parts from a source of mine is there someone who can build me a nice franken piece (for the right price) ? I'm really interested in a Date Just, Seems not many cases can fit it though, I'd love a franken!

Awesome :tu: To be fair, the clasp etchings are the only true 'day to day' weakpoints, the lack of lug etchings would only be an issue if someone was to take the watch to pieces to try and verify it :D

There's quite a few modders on the forum, but personally, I would recommend giving it a try yourself, as building really is a pleasure :good::drinks:

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome, I hope you'll like it :) As mentioned, while some of the little details like clasp engravings are less than perfect, overall, the watch itself is a beaut :good::drinks:

Well it arrived today, which was much quicker than I expected. For £36 I'm not going to complain & also I have nothing to compare it to, but on the wrist it looks passable.

I'm sure it's got the usual flaws but hey, come on, it hardly broke the bank to buy it. If anything it'll be my beater when I fancy something a bit different from my G Shocks

520dc312-5715-30cb.jpg

520dc312-5721-0232.jpg

Well it arrived today, which was much quicker than I expected. For £36 I'm not going to complain & also I have nothing to compare it to, but on the wrist it looks passable.

I'm sure it's got the usual flaws but hey, come on, it hardly broke the bank to buy it. If anything it'll be my beater when I fancy something a bit different from my G Shocks

520dc312-5715-30cb.jpg

520dc312-5721-0232.jpg

Looking good :good::drinks: I haven't been able to get mine off my wrist since it arrived (with the exception of my 'tattooing work watch') The prime flaw on this specific watch, is that it should either have smaller hour markers and hands, or, a green bezel insert to be a 50th aniversary edition, but those're 'collector only' tells :) As you say, on the wrist, it looks like a quality timepiece, and makes an ideal beater, I hope you'll be as happy with yours, as I've been with mine :victory:

16610 Submariners make great watches for everyday use, but not the best with suits

I disagree, I think the 16610 is a great watch that can be worn pretty much all the time, can be worn casually during the day, but also looks great with a suit or with a white shirt as the black face contrasts.

So yea, I would recommend a 16610 submariner, I have one with on order from BK. (with gen insert, crown and crystal as well) MapsMoney, Are you getting a gen bracelet / clasp? How much did that cost?

I disagree, I think the 16610 is a great watch that can be worn pretty much all the time, can be worn casually during the day, but also looks great with a suit or with a white shirt as the black face contrasts.

Oh I quite agree, the 16610 can be worn with a suit and looks great, it is a very versatile watch, and really does go with everything :) I was just going along some of the ettiquete/purpose guidelines I've seen others mention over the years, and now prefer to wear a DateJust with a suit, and keep the Sub for more casual dress :)

If you want a highly convincing not to flashy rolex rep i suggest you to go with explorer 1 36mm. phenomenal watch. no obvious tells out of the box.

All TDs sell it . Trevor seems to offer it at the cheapest price at the moment:

http://www.rwg.cc/topic/144093-explorer-i-36mm-ss-black-ss-asian-eta-2836-2-28800bph/page__hl__explorer__fromsearch__1

for the rest of the money you can get another super convincing rep such as this one:

http://www.rwg.cc/topic/144086-pam-318l-noob-transparent-ar-best-edition-on-black-rubber-strap/

good luck