When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Oiling/Lubricating the watch Bracelet

chez

Hi Everyone

First of all i would like to Thank everyone for all their write ups :notworthy: which helped me to my choice , i have bought a second watch. Its addictive :D

Its from Andrew Trusty Time, Breitling Steelfish V2.

Anyway was reading around and was trying to find the best way to Lubricate a steel bracelet. I am a little confused as there are so many ways and not sure which would be good.

There was bathing the bracelet in Fish oil, Baby Oil, WD40 and silicone based lubricants.

There was also another way of pulling apart the bracelet and putting it through some sore of sonic?? to clean out all the derbies from the factory.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

Steve

:D

Hi Steve,

I'm still pretty much a noob here but I have modded quite a few bracelets thus far :inverted:

I followed a great thread posted quite a while ago now re using 'white lightning' which is a bike chain lube, its the easiest and by far the mod for me that makes the most difference in how the watch bracelet feels on your wrist ;) I have a few Gens and I have done the same with them too...goes something like this..

First I remove the bracelet from the watch then I get a plastic food type clear bag and put the bracelet in, add a generous amount of the fluid and start working it into the links making sure to cover the entire bracelet inc the clasp and extensions if they are there, you will see quite a bit of crap come out of the bracelet in the fluid, its the machining dust and crud that doesn't get washed away properly on the rep stuff (but the gens weren't that clean either!) I work it for at least 15-20 mins then I leave it with the bag open to let the solvent side of the oil evaporate away........

Give it at least 5-10 mins then take it out of the bag it will look crappy! It's covered in the waxy residue of the white lightning, just simply grab an old toothbrush, or someone else's if you wish ;) , and put a small amount of shower gel or soap onto the toothbrush, then work the soap into the bracelet giving it a good scrub all over, you will remove the outer wax but the wax in the bracelet links will stay put!

Then just give it a thorough wash in warm water.Leave it to dry and then buff it up with a towel or microfibre cloth if you have one.....job done now just refit it and enjoy :inverted:

You can get white lightning on the bay here

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/White-Lightning-Clean-Ride-Self-Cleaning-Wax-Lube-4-oz-/230775079976?pt=Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35bb444428

An ultra sonic clean does wonders for removing factory goop left over from polishing and brushing the bracelet. Use hot water and a detergent, Simple Green works really well, but ordinary washing up liquid is also very effective. Remove the bracelet and move it around every minute or so. It's amazing how much dirt comes out sometimes, especially a worn bracelet. (never ultra sonic the whole watch though, it can push water past the o-rings and the detergent will dry them)

Just remember what ever lube you use it going to end up on your skin contoniously, so don't use anything toxic. I'm not normally that concerned about all the "toxic paranoia" but you're going to be constantly exposed this what ever you use. That means no mineral oil, and I'd be careful or bike chain lubes unless you're pretty clear about the contents.

Also be careful of teflon lubes, the teflon itself is fine, but the compound used to make is liquid can be very toxic.

If you dont have access to an ultrasonic bath, wash it thoroughly in your hands with dish soap and warm water, then dry it and place it in a plastic bag.

Squirt dry bicycle chain lubricant into the bag with the watch and then move the links around very thoroughly. As the carrier for the lubricant quickly evaporates, it deposits dry teflon lubricant into all the joints.

Once you are satisfied, remove the bracelet from the plastic bag and buff it with a dry microfiber cloth.

then you are done.

• 2 weeks later...