When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

dssd insert with nice deep engravings

alifizan

Just like the title, does anyone know who's selling a good inert were the markings don't look like they've been almost painted on,I got my Trevor time dssd last week and save for the pearl I hate the rest of the insert, the numbers on it look like they've been almost painted on, even when I feel all round the insert with my finger I can't feel any engraving, sorely disappointed, now who does sell something a bit more gen feeling

Interesting. I can not really tell from the photos without a macro shot of the numerals .. but it looks like even the numbers are glossy, like the ceramic material. I have never seen that on a Trevor factory insert before.

Do you have a way to show us the numerals on the ceramic insert very close, like a macro photo? This looks like something new ...

You know what jkay your bang on the money, you've hit the nail in the head, what you have just said is what I've been struggling to put in to words lol, yes the numbers are glossy and seem to me to be almost painted on, I'm soooo sorry I've not taken a macro shot,I tried but my galaxy s2 doesn't do it, my HTC could lol, jkay I feel swindled by Trevor, what do you think I should do, should I get him to send me the correct insert free of charge

Your Trevor watch needs a lume job and an ultimate insert from pbdad. If you want him to polish and brush it, too that's ok. I would not do anything else.

I have seen a forum member receive a pbdad watch covered in buffing paste so look at any approval pics he sends you closely.

When I put an N Factory insert in my Trevor watch, it needed a tiny bit of sanding to fit.

What about the rest of the stuff in the pbdad package like the aring the crystal and the satin dial varnish which I disagree with anyway oh and there's a few more things too I keep forgetting, by the way I asked him if he would soften the edges of the bracelet and clasp, he said yes for a further hundred dollars

Well it sounds like he really just needs an insert, datewheel and waterproofing. Possibly a movement service. The bk dssd has a better movement which has not been steamed up like his current one.

I get the feeling (maybe incorrectly) that he is mostly disappointed with the quality of the watch he bought.

I might be wrong, but often it is a false economy to buy something cheap, and then upgrade. It is like buying a squire guitar, upgrading the frets, the tuners, the pickups, the pots, and you have spent so much that you could have bought a fender.

It is a pity to be so disappointed withen a few days of buying something, and maybe the initial purchase was the mistake.

A watch service should do this, in fact it should be better than when you bought it. I own a few antique watches which are not waterproof, they steam up from time to time, sometimes even due to wearing them on very rainy days. I have them serviced every 3 years, and all keep perfect time.

All mechanical watches require regular servicing, and the movement in your watch really should be serviced as soon as you get it.

I would also definitely have it waterproofed, as you can't really own a divers watch that you are afraid to get wet.

Maybe you can drop into a few local watch smiths and check if they are willing to service a rep. That might save you from having to post it out, and it never hurts to know a good local watchsmith.

Edited by rrari1

Just out of curiosity, what exactly is involved in servicing a watch Movement, you say my watch should work better than when i first got it, what do they replace parts etc

A competent watchmaker will disassemble the movement completely, and use the correct oil in the correct places when reassembling. Most of the watches coming from China have D&D movements (Dirty and dry). They are buying the cheapest grades of bulk movements. Even the ETA movements are not always cleaned and oiled properly. If the bench area is in a dusty environment, and the movement is left out and unprotected, it will get dust inside. Another thing, a good watchmaker can adjust the movement in at least 3 positions and it will run as accurately as it is possible to run. I always have my movements serviced if it's a watch I plan to keep.

The watchmakes shouldn't have to replace any parts, but he will use the correct lubricants and the movement will be clean, both of which will result in greater accuracy and longivity.