When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ebay Being Sued

Johnkaz

I read that Louis Vitton, & Christian diore Are suing ebay for 37 Million Euros each for selling Dodgy Hanbags (the cheek, they have been ripping off weak minded people for years). Also a similar action is being taken In the USA by Tiffany.

Definite implications for our friends Rolex et al.

Cheers Johnkaz. :nono:

I read that Louis Vitton, & Christian diore Are suing ebay for 37 Million Euros each for selling Dodgy Hanbags (the cheek, they have been ripping off weak minded people for years). Also a similar action is being taken In the USA by Tiffany.

Definite implications for our friends Rolex et al.

Cheers Johnkaz. :nono:

Dodgy?

like a cheap american car?

I can't see them being successful, eBay will state their strict anti replica policy show the number of auctions pulled and indeed the number of accounts suspended and then just point out that it is impossible to to police all auctions and also point out that if Louis Vitton et al are so concerned then they should allocated staff to moniter these auctions.

Ken

I can't see them being successful, eBay will state their strict anti replica policy show the number of auctions pulled and indeed the number of accounts suspended and then just point out that it is impossible to to police all auctions and also point out that if Louis Vitton et al are so concerned then they should allocated staff to moniter these auctions.

Ken

Agreed. It'd be like sueing the post office for transporting the stuff.

It could just be some sabre rattling, but if succesful at any level,then watch out ebay.

Just think how many times members of this and other forums, have alerted ebay to glaring fakes being passed off as genuine, only to be virtually ignored. they are better than they were but it's all about money.

Cheers Johnkaz.

Why should companies have to employ people (and incur extra costs) to police ebay?

The answer is...because they make obscene profits for no apparent reason other than perception that they have created.

What goes into a Seiko quartz that justifies $500?

What goes into a Rolex that justifies $5000 or more?

What is the difference between a Ford F-150....and a Lincoln LT?

The answer is....NOTHING other than perception. Consumers feed on it....perpetuate the nonsense....and spend...spend...spend. Gotta keep up with the neighbors....right?

If it bothers these companies so much that their scam is being compromised....then they should pay people to watch the marketplace. They can always write it off as an additional expense....and probably get bonus funding if they hire minorities to do it.

To cloud the waters even further, ebay will do little about a "fake" listing, unless the seller is silly enough to say its a fake. Then they will pull it.

If they only receive a couple of complaints about a listing, they will let it run.... unless the complainant is a VRO ( Verified Rights Organisation) or some such nonsense.

How does one become a VRO? Easy, be the legal rep of the rights owner... ie GAF and its counterparts.

I actually had a discussion 12 months ago with the Rx legal team in Oz about this, and also with the legals from Richemont. Both pleaded, " Lack of funding" to employ people to watch their backs.

So if they get burned ... "c'est la vie" from my view point. I would have thought the legal people would have seen another opportunity to bill their clients for " services rendered" with a list of watches "pulled"

Currently there are a couple of Pams on ebay Oz... patently fakes, they have been reported, but both have bids, and as of last nite remained for sale. I've all but given up trying,I used to even contact the buyers, but after being abused, and accused of trying to keep the price down, gave up on that route as well.

So its a case of .. bombard ebay with complaints, or weild a big legal club... apart from that..... Caveat emptor.

Offshore

All you actually need to claim a "VERO" is access to a fax machine.

As Ebay don't verify rights owners are infact the real rights owner, anyone with a fax machine and ability to lie can have any auction they like cancelled.

An example of this was a few years back when one watch seller (yes, the biggest VERO scam was carried out in our own field).

He / She claimed VERO on anyone selling CASIO watches, and had all their auctions cancelled... What proof did ebay have this person was infact casio?.. That would be their email address.. casio_inc@hotmail.com

That caused a lot of sellers a lot of grief, not to mention lost sales.

The fact of the matter is that VERO is a crap system, ripe for abuse by sellers against their competition.