When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tudor 7809 Franken

jmb

Knowing that I'm a fan of things 34mm, Chiman laid some remains on me that he had left over after a movementectomy. I finally got around to making something out of it and thought I'd share.

I received a gen case, crown, dial, and hands but opted to go with aftermarket hands as the gens just didn't "grab" securely. I had an ETA 2801 left over from the Timezone Level 1 course so I decided it would be a perfect time to use it even though this watch is supposed to be an automatic. Discovering that the hands would have no clearance over the dial markers I changed the pinions and wheels to taller parts (still available and same as 2836, etc.) so the hands would clear the markers. I machined a movement spacer and bolted everything together and I'm pretty happy with the results. Even though I dislike straps I decided this wouldn't look right on a bracelet so I snagged a generic strap with deployment clasp from fleabay.

All-in-all it's a nice looking watch and after a little research found the model had a nice history. Apparently the 7809 was officially issued to members of the British North Greenland Expedition 1952-54 (although with different dial) and received accolades from those who wore it in the harsh environment they encountered. I also discovered pictures with expedition specific case back engraving although I don't know if they were all engraved or if it was done on an individual basis.

Here's a few quick pics...

post-24124-0-23152200-1335888016.jpg

post-24124-0-41688000-1335888027.jpg

post-24124-0-90656100-1335888039.jpg

post-24124-0-01419200-1335888053.jpg

post-24124-0-00980600-1335888221.jpg

I appreciate it, Chi-Dude! This dial is similar to another I have but my other one does not have the Rose Logo and is gold-tone.

Dauphine%203.JPG

Its also interesting that the 7809 was used in B.N. Greenland expedition...never knew that.

With patina on the dial and the natural aging on the case, you can claim that you survived the Expedition (not saying that you are old)!

What is also interesting is how much Military action Tudors have seen as compared to their Rolex cousins!

did anybody see this one -

this is a case / dial to die for - didn even know that they made this slightly larger case ....

http://www.network54.com/Forum/207673/thread/1335527449/FS-+Classic+1950s+ref-+7919+SS+Tudor+Oysterdate+w-HONEYCOMB+Dial+%26amp%3B+ROULETTE+Date

cheers,

Frank

Yes...yet another cool watch from the king of Tudor's!

That's really interesting about the history J, I guess that skool lernin paid off :)

(now get out the polywatch and go to town on that thing! :) )

Actually going to have to replace the crystal due to a small crack. This is the type that does not have a removable bezel so I ordered a tool to remove the crystal. Hopefully I can match up something...