When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Leather Straps 101

Ronin

I found this very informative. Taken from an email I received from Corvus watch.

What You Need to Know About Leather Watch Straps...

Leather has been used for watch straps ever since the invention of the wristwatch. Yet, in many ways it is particularly unsuited for the task. The problem is that leather absorbs moisture, especially perspiration.

There are various techniques that strap manufacturers must use to overcome this limitation. For one thing, the suede side of the leather must never be exposed.

This requires double-layer construction and careful sealing of the edges unless they are folded over before sewing. Because of this, it is very difficult to properly make a thin watch strap.

Cheap leather straps are always a disappointment. Manufacturing shortcuts lead to rot and unpleasant odor. Even quality leather straps cannot be expected to last more than about six months with daily, active wear.

Geniune Shell Cordovan is Not Exactly Leather...

Shell Cordovan is actually a equine muscle that lies below the skin. It has no suede side and is non-absorbant, unlike regular hide leather. It is also the only "leather" that is naturally waterproof. It lasts for years, and only gets better with age.

These qualities are enhanced by the Horween Leather Company's slow and painstaking tanning process. There is nothing in the world like genuine Shell Cordovan, and it is only made in Chicago, USA by Horween. Furthermore, Horween only uses shells from animals that have died from natural causes.

• Like 1

Nice read.

There is a second company based in Japan that also makes and sells Shell Cordovan.

Also with Cordovan straps, The ones that were made out of Cordovan only were pretty nice, but some use some sort of padding and only a very thin layer of Cordovan on top of that.. can't recommend those..

Nope, but Horween and the japanese company only provide the sheets of cordovan. The strapmakers (also shoemakers, beltmakers, jacketmakers, etc..) all buy from them (through middlemen) and produce their own products.

Corvus is the company that supplied the famous original Bond Nato/Raf strap.

The word Cordovan, derives its name from the city of Cordoba Spain, where it was originally prepared, and refers to the fibrous flat muscle beneath the hide leather from the back end of a horse. The term Cordwainer is derived from Cordovan, and is the English name for a decorative leather worker. There is a statue of a Cordwainer in London near St Pauls Cathedral, where Cordwainers hall used to stand. I think that it is unlikely that only one firm in Chicago produces cordovan, as it is extensively used in the manufacture of good leather shoes. Maybe this firm has a copyright on the name, but I cant imagine that no one else makes this type of leather.

I think that it is unlikely that only one firm in Chicago produces cordovan, as it is extensively used in the manufacture of good leather shoes.

http://www.shellcordovan.com/shell-cordovan-production.html

Shell cordovan is extremely rare. There are only two tanneries in the world that produce shell cordovan leather, one of them being the Horween Leather Company in Chicago.

The other is the japanese one..

.com sites registered to industrial-grade squatters with google adchoice plastered all over are also my top choice for factual up to date information.

1. AdBlocker, mate. I don't see ads.

2. That was a response to "I think that it is unlikely" which is no factual information at all. I just picked one of the many google results for how basically all shell cordovan is supplied by Horween.

3. This whole thread is based on a advertisement mail from Corvus.

4. Feel free to come up with factual up to date information that contradicts any of the stated.

5. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+many+cordovan+tanneries