When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What are the options for a Daytona franken?

dow

Hello,

I'm currently looking at a set of vintage 1970s white/silver dial, hands and bezel that is for sale. Thinking if I only could snipe this kit at a fair price and start a franken project... But, being very uninformed on the rollies, what are my possibilities? A friend pointed me to the direction of jewelryandwatch, but looking at the prices... wow... that route is not exactly cheap. In the end this might fly through the window anyway. Jee, I don't even know what to expect of the price for that dial, hands and bezel!

ae003042.jpg

Any input from the rollie guys are very much appreciated!

For an all gen except mid case and movement franken (use a V72 for non-screw down models, a V726 for screw down models) I suggest you go with a Phong case. Imo it's considerably higher quality than DW and well worth it when you are investing in a gen dial, bezel, bracelet etc. already. His prices are negotionable to an extent, also you won't need the whole case set, if you are planning to use gen parts like bezel, crystal, etc.

Gen parts prices keep rising and there's no end in sight so be prepared to spend a lot. I think you will be able to finish a 6265 around 5000-6000€. A 6263 1000-1500€ more (bezel prices have skyrocketed).

I'd expect to pay around 2000€+ for what you have pictured above. I couldn't tell if these are indeed genuine items from that picture, though. Not to say they aren't but for that amount of money, I would want to see more and higher quality pictures in order to compare them to other gens.

Also information is the key to these kind of projects, otherwise you'll get burned quickly. I suggest you read up some more on these models, there's plenty of information on here and you might also consider picking up the book or iphone version of "Daytona a Legend is born".

Good luck with your project and keep us posted.

Also information is the key to these kind of projects, otherwise you'll get burned quickly. I suggest you read up some more on these models, there's plenty of information on here and you might also consider picking up the book or iphone version of "Daytona a Legend is born".

Good luck with your project and keep us posted.

This is wonderful and accurate advice.

The vintage Daytona may be my favorite watch, and even though I know more than I did three years ago about them..I still have not started a build. The Franken world is so easy to lose money on parts if you don't know what you are doing. Several members her have the most amazing Daytonas that you will see anywhere. I will build one someday though.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Guys,

thanks for the input. I really really appreciate this.

I'm basically a vintage Pam guy (I usually reside on HF) with little to no experience of the Rollies. I did not know the price level of either the gen set and the rep/gen case/movement. But I will do some more research (I'll check out the iphone book), check my accounts and see if there is an opportunity. I have some muscles but I'm not prepared to pay correct price for the kit. I'll keep you updated...

Edited by dow

All the good reading have been said :) +1 guys !

About the photo with dial, bezel, and hands,

Fair price will be somewhere like 3,5 - 4 k EUR, considering the condition showed

But you must be prepared to buy Phong's case ;)

Note that I will maybe have a Taiwan case FS with a lower price than Phong's one in 1 or 2 months...

R.