When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Worth getting a new ETA over a used one?

bronica

I'm getting an Air-King soon and a TD gave me a quote for 208 for a used Swiss ETA and 328 for a brand new ETA. Is it really worth the extra $120 for the brand new one? Not only that, they offered me 198 for the Asian ETA 28800bph. I've done a lot of searching but have had no clear arguments on whether it is better to get it brand new or not, do you guys have any opinions or experiences? I'm still a bit new at this and i didn't even know that they sold reps with used ETAs, and considering that it is around the 200~ mark, is it safe to assume the majority of reps from all the TD websites are fixed with used ETA reps? (This of course considering they are around that price mark)

You get what you pay for, right?

Edited by Nanuq

Popular wisdom is that the asian clone ETA is a good bet. You will definitely get what you pay for, and it's a solid movement.

I have to question tho .. ONLY a $10 difference between china clone and swiss ETA? Ummm ... hmm :g:

Normally Asia ETA is a lot less than Swiss. Which watches are you talking about?

So essentially if i'm looking at a watch on a website around the $200 mark (i am taking this price only in reference to what i am buying, not all watches) i won't know if it is a used or new ETA? After all my reading i didn't even know used ETA's were installed in watches..

The Chinese replica factories do not disclose from where they purchase their bulk pallets of ETA movements. It is known that generally they are kept in unsanitary locations so they are normally quite dirty inside. That's the major cause of problems with new replicas .. old and dirty movements. A simple service at a watchsmith fixes that problem and sets you up for about five years of trouble-free "watching"

Normally Asia ETA is a lot less than Swiss. Which watches are you talking about?

Sorry didn't see this. I'm getting the Rolex Air-King. I have seen a TD sell one with ' Swiss Automatic ETA-2836-2' for 205 and another TD sell one with 'Asia Copy ETA 2836-2 Automatic 28800BPH' for 198. It's mostly the price variances that have my head all over the board and scrambling my buying decisions.

torobravo is a trusted dealer, and has been around a long while. while I have never bought from him, many many others have.

Toro, where is your photo archive or web store? I like to support dealers who take the time to post, and help people.

Even with a new or used ETA, I would factor in a service in the total cost. Send it to a reputable watchmaker (several on the forum) get the movement serviced and you will be good to go for at least 5 years or more. The ETA, that the rep builders use are bulk purchases and they are not packed in individual sealed packages, so if they are stored in a dusty area, they will be full of dust particles by the time they go in the watches. Also many of them are not properly oiled, or not oiled at all so between the dust and the dry mechanism, problems soon arise.