When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How I got lucky: $5 gold watch

kravaff

So about a year ago I picked up two completely tarnished watches at a local flea market. Both automatic, one Herna and the other one Delbana. Just the other day I remembered I have them stashed in the drawer and decided the time has come they get a spa. I started with the Herna. Decased it and started polishing the case. It had a slight goldish tint but I didnt think it was anything more than plating, and since the watch is circa 1960 it was certainly looked like the plating was wearing off. The case had really deep scratches and dings so I didnt spare the dremel sanding disk thinking I would soon get to the stainless steel. Well... Soon enough I realized I wouldn't and that the case is pure gold! I polished it clean, probably loosing a considerable amount in the process. And the result is amazing. Unlike the Debana, which came with a working movement, the Herna has a broken stem and since I am not a movement expert I cannot tell wether it is in running condition. The hairspring looks undamaged. And hopefully it wont take much to get this beauty running. You just never know when tarnish may turn into gold! :clap2:

Pictures will follow.

• 3 weeks later...