When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Fix or Replace Busted Chrono Ebel 1911?

imajedi

Thanks for the support guys. Of course it will only be a success if I can get it back together working, which right now I think I can but as I mentioned above the problem with the hr hand lies on the other side of the watch below the dial and instill have some disassembly to do. I'm still waiting for the tools I ordered on eBay to take apart the rest of the watch but hopefully I'll get to it this weekend and give you an update. The nice thing about the chrono on the 7750 is that you realize it's really sandwiched around the movement making it easier to get to and not requiring you to disassemble the entire movement. I was unfortunate to have a problem on both sides because my hr hand is broken.

As for the pinion, let's start by defining down, which I am defining from the case back towards the face of the watch. I think the thinner gear goes down, closer to the face and in continuous contact with the fourth gear and the thicker gear goes up in intermittent contact with the chrono main gear. Astro do you think it's opposite?

• 2 weeks later...

Problem found....the hour counter lock, the white plastic piece was not assembled correctly, the white rounded foot needs to be in the little notch of the hour hammer next to it. I will try and fix and reassemble. post-44349-133937513349.jpgpost-44349-13393751528.jpg

A quick shot of all the parts that need to go back together....eeks

Hour counter lock and hour hammer spring reinstalled correctly. This took about 1.5 hrs and zillions of tries. The key is to put one tip of your tweezers in the hole in the hour hammer and the other on the spring and squeeze them together to slip the end of the hour hammer spring over the hour hammer. Figuring that out tool an hr and the another 30 min for success. Now let's pray I can get the date platform back on without messing up the delicate assembly. post-44349-133937853362.jpg

• Like 1

Whooo hooo Date plate back on successfully first try. Long way to go but that's all for now. I think the hr hand of the Chrono is fixed. Note the little gold piece of debree on the tape at 3. I found that in the watch. It's a small gold piece. I'm hoping it's debree and not a broken part. Tried the pushers and they seemed to be working so I'm hoping debree at this point. post-44349-133937953262.jpg

I'm giving this a bump because I really need help at this point. I really need to know which way the oscillating pinion gear goes into the 7750 movement? Does it go with the thicker gear end up or down.

I've watched two videos of it being assembled and both appear to show it with the thicker gear up. The tutorial linked earlier in this thread also suggested it is assembled that way.

However, the 7750 website seems to suggest it goes thicker gear down. The problem is none of them are really conclusive.

Can anyone shed some light on this. The fate of My Ebel 911 Discovery hangs in the balance.

Help me RWG Kenobi, you're my only hope.

@FxrAndy, but why you're offering if you could just stop over and keep the #%^*£ top of the oscillating pinion in the 60s clutch holder while the automatic device bridge is assembled that would be great.

What ever time works for you is fine for me. :-)

• 4 months later...

Just following up with an update for anyone who's interested. 1.) I can confirm that when installing the oscillating pinion gear, the thicker of the two gears goes down into the watch as FxrAndy had suggested above. The thinner gear goes up and interfaces with the Chronograph 60s 30min wheel. 2.) I can also confirm that you can not use an ETA 60s 30 min wheel replacement (part 35.010) in an A7750. The stems have a slight different diameter, actually I think it's just a different chamfer. Regarless, the ETA part will not go all the way into the movement. I finally got around to trying this tonight as this was the part of my A7750 from my 1911 that was broken. I had ordered an ETA replacement and just hadn't got around to tyring to fix it yet. I was concerned it might not work because as many here have recognized, you can't use ETA hands on an A7750 or vise versa without messing with the hands' hole size. I was hoping the 35.010 part would work and I could just try to modify the hands but the part won't even fit in the movement. :-(

Anyway, I think the next step is to try and just buy a completely assembled A7750 and put the watch back together with a new movement. If anyone has a spare they would like to part with please PM me.