When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

6263 crown tube and crown

Dave- I was searching and searching for mods to do on these DW's, but there just isn't much that needs to be changed ;)

No you are absolutely right Randy. If you really wanted to be minutely picky about the dial (although tons of gen 6263's have re-dials anyhow) there isn't anything more cosmetic to do than the crown and tube. There are certainly no CG's to file down!!!!!!!!!!

I do need some 571 end links for mine, though, as they are coming out with ground down 580's which are crap. I have also ordered a gen T21 crystal and some gen springbars and that will probably do for now. I will see how the movement lasts before trying to fit a V23.

But yes you are right Randy overall a spectacular rep.

@Ubi: Randy, be carefull with your tube instalation b/c last night I broke a gen rolex tube inside the tube hole trying to install it on my 6263; I think there are diferents treaths in the DW cases :(

Yikes! Thanks for the heads up on this one Toni! Definitely good to know! I was under the impression that the gen tubes were a direct replacement, but maybe that's only on the V72 case kit?

Yikes! Thanks for the heads up on this one Toni! Definitely good to know! I was under the impression that the gen tubes were a direct replacement, but maybe that's only on the V72 case kit?

I haven't tried to fit a crown tube to my 6263 yet, but if the DW case is the same as all the others I have done (including MBW) then you have to re-tap the thread with a 3mm 0.2 pitch tap. They are not easy to get hold of. Be careful you don't break the tube as they are quite fragile. :(

BTW- There is only one vintage 7mm crown that I would consider spending the money on, and that's the non-Triplock version that came on the original early models prior to release of the Triplock system. If we're talking vintage Triplock vs. modern, there just simply isn't enough difference to me to justify any extra cost, as they are virtually the same in terms of size, function, etc. Only difference is the shape of the coronet of the stamping. Going back to the non-Triplock crown, that particular crown would be incorrect on a 6263, as they are all 'Oyster' signed with screw down pushers, etc. A 6239/40/41/62 with the pump pushers would be a different story.

just remember one thing , this movment is very very touchy, im still not convinced it will be a great movment , i have had two now with issues, and they get worse when making adjustments, and this being said i am starting not to like mine , u have to broach the hands to fit , its basically a watch movment put together poorly imho , i feel the lemania is a much better copied asian movment , , just letting u guys know , especially when u start taking hand of and on they get worse and worse faster than any rep i have worked on

well i have now worked many dw, and they all seem to have the same problem with the hands, i think the tubes on those subdial hands r made poorly or cheap metal cause one u remove and put them back on they start to push thru the top and the pin goes straight through it , seconds is not as big a deal as the minutes because the minutes when resetting if that hand isnt snugg it will not reset to zero cause it moves from so much spring action, same can happen with the long running seconds, i think it is mainly these newer ones actually , its really a pain in the [censored]