When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A Plea To The Factories....

Hi All

Hope you're well this fine Monday!

I've just embarked on my first AP experience by ordering a ROO Black Themes on SS Bracelet - I weighed up the minor discrepancies regarding date window and case depth etc and in the end I wanted one so I went for it BUT.....

I would like to see whether there is anyone else out there who wold provide a market for the following two pieces.

1) - DIVER with genuine ETA 2846(? might have that wrong as it's Monday morning here - so don't shoot me!!!) low beat 21600bph movement?

Seriously this already sits in my Pams so why can't it go in the Diver for the complete effect? I doubt it would even cost more than that Sellita? I would certainly get one if there wasn't the hassle of having to source my own movement and send it off to someone.

Does anyone else agree?

2) ROO with clone movement.

Again I would pay a pretty premium for a watch with the clone LWO 283 movement here, or even an ETA version as I am no expert but I believe these are available. Correcting the crown position and date window is a no brainer for me and this must be borne out by the fact that plenty of you have paid $$ thousands to rectify it with Frankens.

If one of these was available for around $1000 - i would be all over it frankly as I don't have the contacts to start a franken and doubt I have the patience in reality.

I have no weight with the dealers but I'm sure there is someone here who does so perhaps if there is enough uptake here then we can try and get at least one of these bad boys in the pipeline???

Who's with me?

Cheers

Damon

ps I've just realised that the low beat in my pams is manual wind so this wouldn't suit but I'd still wager there is an automatic low beat that can be put in here that would be worth a premium to most of us.

Edited by DamonHorse

I have asked the factories via Angus to produce divers with the ETA2846, they just won't do it. So I'm doing it myself...

As for the LWO283, the DD module is quite hard to copy. They won't do this.

Although, if they would offer both of these I'm sure there is a market.

On the Diver, I suspect the driver is the 2824-2 being increasingly difficult to get in volume and ETA is vigilant on what goes into China. The factories can't get them for less than we do and they are usually $150+. On the clone LWO 283 movement there are not enough current hot watches that use that configuration and the funniest part is the factories would have to re-engineer the whole rep back to true gen specs (case height and depth, offset-pushers, etc.) so it would be a complete redo.

Meister - love your detailed answers as always and Edgematic it is interesting that you've asked for a low beat Diver and they've said no.

But on the topic of the LWO watch needing to be a complete re-do - that's exactly what I want!!

If they were going to charge $1000 for one then I guarantee that there would be at least 100 people just on this forum who would get one - there is no way that is costs $100k to sort this out.

I absolutely want the case back and pusher placement sorted - there would be no need to put the clone movement in it otherwise.

I really think they could make a lot of money if they did a super rep of this watch - how many of us have already stumped up $500 for an OK rep?

This quest could become my life's work!!! Want to have my tombestone say I was the guy who got the clone LWO 283 AP sorted out!!! haha

DD chrono module is not going to happen any time soon, unfortunately. Not really easy task, this module is quite complicated piece of engineering, and DD is quite secretive about all its modules. As far as I have heard, there do not allow (or provide resources for) servicing of modules outside of their manufacture, do not provide spares etc. Allegedly, when servicing ROO chrono movements AP simply replaces module with new one :)

I think if some of rep movement factories would have necessary resources to do such a complicated reverse-engineering task they would start with ETA 2894 - and manufacture its chrono module. Much more current hot watches use 2894, some already exist as reps with modified 7750, but thickness is always problem, since 2894 is extremely thin for a chrono movement.

regards

• Like 1

z3ko - if that is possible and would solve the crown postion and date issues with the 2894 then it would still be something that I'd want.

Movement doesn't have to be identical as the case back is solid anyway - so if this is a way of getting around the current issues then I'd be all for it for sure!