When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Who has the best vintage daytona hand set?

janeto72

Hi Everyone,

a question of interest for all of us building the superfraken vintage daytonas from the 60's-early 80's Newman style with valjoux 72,722,727 movements....e.g, 6263,6265,6264 etc...

Which manufacturer or reseller of aftermarket Rolex parts has the best, closest to gen,complete 6 piece hand sets?

Criteria as follows.

1.) Must look just like gen or very close where you can't tell.

2.) Must fit the dial stems just like gen without any modding.

3.) Luminova on hands or tritium?

Open discussion please.....

Quick answer :

The best hands was DW. Needs some adjustment on pinion as my watchmaker said, and needs to be glued to prevent slipping, but great value for the price & look.

But now, DW is out...

You can consider J&W hands, or Yuki hands (maybe NDT too ?). Just compare it by yourself. Do not hesitate to ask some better & more recent photos. Phong especially is known to do not have up to date photos.

The aftermarket hands you will find will not have lume, or a very very few. No luminova I guess. No Tritium also. Maybe a mix between a little of luminova & some other material in the worst case...

Just ask the seller, it is better :-)

Or for few ( :D) more bucks, there is some gen luminova hands on VRF right now. Tony A. is selling 2 or 3 sets at a very decent price, and he is a very kind guy to deal with (personal experience).

EDIT: Decide what kind of dial you will buy *before* the hands... Not worthing the cost to buy gen lumi hands with a T dial... If you see what I want to mean ;)

Or for few ( :D) more bucks, there is some gen luminova hands on VRF right now. Tony A. is selling 2 or 3 sets at a very decent price, and he is a very kind guy to deal with (personal experience).

$600 = very decent price? Damn!

$600 = very decent price? Damn!

Well... Not very decent... But this hands are so hard to find... So I suppose it's OK these days for the price asked... :) Plus it is possible to negotiate with Tony...

And, you have the guarantee with this seller to have genuine items, and not crappy aftermarket things, like I see very often on VRF these days...

But he said to me the handsets were gone, so I suppose it's too late anyways...

The less you use eBay in the Rolex aftermarket world, the better you will be :)

• 2 weeks later...

http://watchlume.com/Hands%20For%20Rolex%20Cosmograph%20Daytona%206263%206239%206265%20SILVER%20DIAL

I've been looking for the same thing.

I looked at these and thought that they looked good. The lume area looks similar to gen and they have the ridge in the minute and hour hands.

I saw some hands that looked flat on ebay and thought they were terrible.

I was thinking that yuki's ones were o.k too and i was probably going to buy the monte carlo hand set from him so would buy a daytona set at the same time.