When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hublot Diver with ETA 7750 Swap and Bezel Mod

Watchmeister

...modding is fun! But dates wheels and such are not the issue... the rep is 150g to heavy!

Fully agree the weight differential is a "fatal flaw" but on the wrist it is aesthetically unbelievably close. I have had the opportunity to compare. And in truth for that reason I have never bought a rep of a gold watch. Every gold rep is that far off the other way - they are way too light. But I couldn't resist the styling on this one and of course the price is right. :)

Fully agree the weight differential is a "fatal flaw" but on the wrist it is aesthetically unbelievably close. I have had the opportunity to compare. And in truth for that reason I have never bought a rep of a gold watch. Every gold rep is that far off the other way - they are way too light. But I couldn't resist the styling on this one and of course the price is right. :)

For those with the money the weight differential can be reduced significantly.... ;) A skeleton Valjoux 7750 and V3 midcase :) However I did save a bit of weight just using a skeleton rotor weight.. not a lot but its noticeable.

The actual difference in weight of the head comes out at around 65 grammes between the gen and the V6.. I am basing that on the weight of my V2 compared to gen.. I have seen some rep weights stating it at 215g but when I weighed mine it was 203g...

I also found that the bezel lightening wasnt necessary on my one.. I assume that might be a consistency issue with the maker or rather the bezel maker who supplies the Tag factory.

So far I have it relumed, and rebrsuhed plus the Swiss 7750 with a skeleton rotor... also I have had the plastic cogs replaced from the inner bezel...all its waiting on is the AR :) Then it will go on a gen strap :)

But as an aside has anyone seen the gen owner who modded the lugs to take ordinary straps... with the diver H screws? Must say I think it looks good but does mean I believe that the QR is US now which was implied but from the pics below I am not sure how he fitted the original strap...but regardless at least you can have more strap options...

Edited by PeteM

Pete-

How much weight saving would you guess can be achieved from the skeleton 7750? You also mentioned V3 midcase. Is that from a standard HBB, King or earlier version of the Diver? I would love to find a ti mid case. I would guess it would significantly reduce the weight. I do love the rep. Anything to lighen the weight would be greatly appreciated.

Pete-

How much weight saving would you guess can be achieved from the skeleton 7750? You also mentioned V3 midcase. Is that from a standard HBB, King or earlier version of the Diver? I would love to find a ti mid case. I would guess it would significantly reduce the weight. I do love the rep. Anything to lighen the weight would be greatly appreciated.

Hi mate

I hope all is well with you :)

Now first thing I must say is I dont have to hand my notes when I researched my options in modding the V2 Tag maker diver but from memory this is what I found..

The gen weighs around 138.. The CF diver is 144.. The V2 is about 203

A Swiss 7750 weighs around 44... the asian was around 50... The skeleton weighs from 20 upto 23ish... there are also skeleton options on the rotor if you can source them in terms of material which would certainly give you below lower end weight (this info was given from several sources including a couple of mods and a local watchsmith

I contacted a TD about the V3 as he had mentioned in a tear down when it came out that it had a Ti midcase unlike the V2 which is SS.... he confirmed that to me when discussed...

so given the differences these options would make a significant difference when you add in the movement...

So with those options I was reckoning on a saving around 25-30 on the movement and then what ever I could get on the midcase etc but conservatively I would suggest 8 but possibly much more..