When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hublot Diver with ETA 7750 Swap and Bezel Mod

Watchmeister

• 2 weeks later...

It may not be worth it but I have old 7750's laying around explicitly for this purpose so I will probably give it a try. If I am going to go to the trouble to fix the stuttering running seconds hand which looks like crap I might as well invest the servicing money into a Swiss movement. Give me a few weeks but I will let folks know how it works out.

A bit of work to do there though remove the seconds pinion at 9, the hour counter (well that is not work you just don't refit it after cleaning, same as the min counter) make sure you get the tilting pinion right and you will have a smooth sweep. Why not! sounds like a good use for a 7750. Looking forward to seeing the results.

A bit of work to do there though remove the seconds pinion at 9, the hour counter (well that is not work you just don't refit it after cleaning, same as the min counter) make sure you get the tilting pinion right and you will have a smooth sweep. Why not! sounds like a good use for a 7750. Looking forward to seeing the results.

I am too. Now just waiting for Ziggy to return. I figure it can't be that hard (for him) he has done some nice conversions for me on PAM automatics, etc. I know you can handle this but it is well beyond my skill set. Well beyond... :)

I am too. Now just waiting for The Zigmeister to return. I figure it can't be that hard (for him) he has done some nice conversions for me on PAM automatics, etc. I know you can handle this but it is well beyond my skill set. Well beyond... :)

Well. The stutter is more likely not from the tilting pinion but from the chronograph second wheel tension spring. Can your remove the movement and hands yourself? If so I will lead you through the proces step by step with pictures and all. No need to switch to Swiss. I'm in the mood to do a write up :lol:

Let me know.

Edited by Rolexman

Apparently the ETA 7750 plugged right in and took the rep date wheel, Of course you have to do the mods removing the sub dial pinions and the main second hand escapement but apparently it was a piece of cake. I will show a picture or two of the swapped movement when I get it back.

Here is the swap completed. Put in an old school true Swiss ETA 7750. Apparently it was a piece of cake. Of course the date wheel fit in perfectly. Used the rep rotor. By the way the rotor was hanging by a thread on the original movement - classic example of poor rep assembly. now it is reattached to the bearing, properly lubed and attached to the ETA. Rotor is smooth as silk and goodbye second hand stutter. :)

post-85-134057764182.jpg

post-85-134057766477.jpg

post-85-13405776919.jpg

• Like 1

Here is the swap completed. Put in an old school true Swiss ETA 7750. Apparently it was a piece of cake. Of course the date wheel fit in perfectly. Used the rep rotor. By the way the rotor was hanging by a thread on the original movement - classic example of poor rep assembly. now it is reattached to the bearing, properly lubed and attached to the ETA? Rotor is smooth as silk and goodbye second hand stutter. :)

post-85-134057764182.jpg

post-85-134057766477.jpg

post-85-13405776919.jpg

pm'd you for details.

• 3 weeks later...

Updated pics with Bezel mod.. While I had the watch with Ziggy I had him do Zorrolondon's suggested mod of lightening up the outer bezel "wells" and voila......the watch is complete. Thanks for the suggestion Mr. Z.

DSCN0891.jpg

DSCN0895.jpg

DSCN0894.jpg

Now I am determined to find out whether the genuine textile/carbon strap alternative will fit. Has anyone tried a gen strap yet on this one?

@watchmeister

looking awsome with the moment swap im thinking about having this done also mine is choppy but not majorly !! and also the bezel mod brings it inline with the gen now great work

mine says hi also minus the move swap

IMG-20120612-WA0001.jpg

Nice work Warren... Looks good mate...

I have one away for crystaless AR, rebrush and relume plus the sec hand mod and service but what do you mean by the inner bezel wells lightening? Are you referring to the poor lume height and shape etc?

Wear it well mate

Congrats

:)

No Mr. Z pointed out that the darkened recesses on the top of the outer bezel are too dark. I suspect they may even have been painted on the rep. The gen obviously has some sophisticated finish (light sandblasting maybe) in the wells. Simply lightening them up makes it much closer aesthetically. On the brushing be careful because I actually thought the rep brushing was fairly accurate at least on the main case.