When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Advice needed! Cinque Terre!

ghost

Calling upon all the illuminated minds in this international community again!

Has anyone had any experience staying in a town which provides easy access to Cinque terre in italy?

I'm thinking of heading there for a couple of days, but was advised to stay in a town just at the precipice as Cinque Terre itself may be a pain in the ass to negotiate via car.

So far from what i can glean online, some recommend Santa Margherita, whilst others levanto. La Spieza is another, but apparently isn't as pretty a town?

Thanks for the help guys!

I would not bring a car if at all possible. The joy of Cinque Terre is hiking between the villages. You usually do not need to book a place to stay, other than maybe for your first night, the local B&B owners sit out in the town squares, and seek customers. I have not been there for about 3 years, but the B&B's were really nice and cost about 20 euros a night for two of us.

Having a car with you would ruin the whole experience in my opinion. You hike along beautiful waterfront, and wander around narrow Italian streets looking for a good lunch place. In a car you would miss the view, and have a nightmare parking.

Hotel Eur in Lido di Camaiore is a great place to stay and only a boat ride away- one of the few (affordable) hotels in the area with a pool! The boats leave daily from the pier on the beach and hop between the Cinque Terre villages, which, in themselves are very pretty, but overrun with tourists. We have stayed at the hotel on 3 separate vacations and there are fantastic sandy beaches and an incredible array of reasonably priced to very expensive restaurants there. They have free to use bicycles...

Viareggio is less than 10 minutes away by bike and has some superyacht builders in the harbour. Pisa / Florence / Lucca are all on the train line, too.

La Spezia is not so great, but cheapish. Choose a hotel near the train station and it won't matter all that much.

454759136_9DgQy-X3.jpg

Buon viaggio, Don Ameche.

+1

There are a lot of train to Cinque Terre easily available during all day from La Spezia. Using the car is not an option.

Enjoy your staying, eat a lot of fish dishes and drink some good and fresh white wine.