When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hour marker has come off the dial...please help.

r3zn

Hi all, I know this is probably not the best place to post this but I have already posted in the repairs section with limited responses. So hopefully someone here can help me out.

I got this watch for x-mas and I love it! Problem is that the 11 o'clock marker has come off. I took it to a watchsmith and he quoted me $70 to open the watch and stick the marker back on. Is there any way I can do this myself? I tried opening the caseback but I have no idea how it opens. I took off the screws but that didn't help. I don't know much about opening watches but I hope this might be easy enough for me to do and save the $70. Any help would be great.

IMG_1228.jpg

IMG_1229.jpg

IMG_1230.jpg

That "should" be an easy fix. I have an Avocet altimeter watch with a back held on by screws, similar to yours. First time I opened it the screws came out easy enough but there was a weak adhesive of some kind holding it on, to supplement the caseback gasket. Some GENTLE prying got it off.

With the back off look for screws holding the movement in place. Once you remove these, you ought to be able to turn it face up, thwack it into your open palm, and pop the movement out. Fingers crossed! Check also to see if the winding stem will be in the way preventing it popping out.

If that works, use a tiny drop of adhesive, NOT SUPERGLUE, and put that marker back on. Cyanoacrylates will outgas and fume the crystal and ruin it.

Reassembly is, as they say, opposite of removal. Put a little light grease on the caseback gasket to hold it in place, reattach the caseback, making sure the gasket stays put.

It may well lose its water-proofness by doing this. After rebuilding it, give it a try and see if it fogs inside when you submerge it. A drop of cold water on the crystal after a warm submersion will fog it inside if you get a leak. In that case quickly open it back up, dry it thoroughly, and try again. And while it's open replace the battery!

Or as another thought take it to a battery replacement place and have them pop out the movement and reglue it, "as long as it's open anyway...."

That may be the easiest solution of all. Good luck!

Thanks for that. Sounds a bit risky though...lol. Maybe I am better off taking it in and getting it done. I like the battery replacement story..."oh and by the way, can you glue that hour marker back on while your at it?" Good one.

Thanks for the offer but I'm in Australia. I had an offer from another member to send it to Greece and get it fixed and lumed for a reasonable price but it might be better to just keep it in oz and eat the costs. So I guess it's not advisable for me to try to do this on my own?