When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

TC Sub Bezel Swap

oldtools

Greetings,

Has anyone tried to change the bezel on their TC v4 sub with a gen bezel or other aftermarket bezel? I recently received a gen bezel and tried to install it on my TC sub. The crystal retainer is too large for the bezel to go on. I don't know if I should get an aftermarket crystal retainer and see if it is the correct size, or just chuck up the TC bezel in the lathe and turn it down a few thousandths. Anyone else tried a bezel swap on a TC sub?

Thanks, Bob.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum.

Yes in fact there have been several people that had difficulty getting gen inserts installed.

The key word is insert. Do some searches and you will find some of the solutions in the last month.

Some guys used a press, some had the problem you describe and I'm not sure that solution. Many just sanded carefully.

The problem seems to be from watch to watch. I have a TC coming and I'm hoping I get lucky. Sorry I can't be of more help, there are several threads on this though.

Hi Woof*,

I'm not having trouble with the insert, I'm having trouble with bezel ring that the insert snaps into. The TC bezel snaps on the crystal retainer just fine, but the gen is just a little smaller than the TC. Here's a link to a bezel from wholesale outlet on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEZEL-INSERT-S-STEEL-FOR-ROLEX-SUBMARINER-16610-PART-/310304838667?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item483f9c140b#ht_4842wt_1270

I wasn't sure if I had to buy one of these too, or if it would even fit a gen bezel?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RETAINING-BEZEL-INSERT-FOR-ROLEX-SUBMARINER-16610-16800-/310304841634?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item483f9c1fa2#ht_4918wt_1270

Thanks, Bob.

I'm sorry, I misread lol

I believe in fact for a gen bezel or WSO you will need the gen retainer or WSO retainer.

If you have a gen bezel I would seek out the gen retainer. Mismatching with the WSO is a crap shoot from what I've read.

Again, sorry for my confusion.

• 1 month later...

Has there been any more light shed on this?

I have a gen bezel and was hoping to put it on a TC sub. but im wondering if I need gen (or aftermarket) crystal retainer and spring. Does anyone have any good sources for these?

While we are on the subject how accurate is the TC subs rehaut in terms of size compared to a 3135 16610 case? It looks slightly shallow or too low, any thoughts?

Hi Dan,

I wound up machining the TC crystal retainer to fit the gen bezel. There's a fair amount of trimming to do. The outside diameter needs to be reduced, and then cut a bevel on the underside for the bezel to snap over. Once I got the diameter to the right size and the bezel would snap on, the retainer was too thick...the bezel wouldn't rotate. I didn't have the spec's for a gen retainer, so there was a lot of sneaking up on the correct thickness. It would definitely be easier to buy a gen retainer, or a properly sized rep retainer.

Thanks, Bob.

Hi Dan,

I wound up machining the TC crystal retainer to fit the gen bezel. There's a fair amount of trimming to do. The outside diameter needs to be reduced, and then cut a bevel on the underside for the bezel to snap over. Once I got the diameter to the right size and the bezel would snap on, the retainer was too thick...the bezel wouldn't rotate. I didn't have the spec's for a gen retainer, so there was a lot of sneaking up on the correct thickness. It would definitely be easier to buy a gen retainer, or a properly sized rep retainer.

Thanks, Bob.

Exactly.

I tried the gen bezel ring on the TC crystal ring....same results.

The TC retainer has a larger OD.

Fortunately I have the gen retainer too.

The Clark bezel is a noticable improvement over the TC.

Mine took a gen insert just fine but had the same problem with retaining ring height.

BUT...my TC took a gen insert without any problems at all so as stated, the issues vary from piece to piece.

For the price you could consider trying the Clark.....you may just get lucky :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bezel-S-S-with-crystal-retainer-and-click-spring-16610-16800-Sub-for-Rolex-/251122622813?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a7813215d

• 2 weeks later...