When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

If you could spend $700 TC sub or.....

RBT1680

The homage watches do have their place,but with that said I still can't find a reason not to buy a TC Sub over one. the reason I went for the $700 mark was the pricing on some of the homage watches they get a little pricey, but if one was to spring for a Gen insert you could end up with almost $700 for the TC.

I suppose that is what my true question was, is there any reason/other watch to not go for the TC sub.

I haven't had a TC sub in my hand, but from what I read, the legacy is the WM9 sub, which was a pretty darn nice watch. i had one before I sold it to buy a genuine 16610. Putting them side by side, they were pretty close. Sure you could see differences, but for about 99.9% of the watch buying/wearing public, they were indestinguishable.

Another thing, it's a very good base to build on, a part at a time if you want. slap in a genuine crystal, crown and insert/pearl and you would have one fine watch. Another consideration is down the line, if the Rolex clone movement I saw in another thread is for real, you could slip one of those in and you would have a real franken. Especially if it's set up to take genuine hands, WOW you would really have something.

One of the big problems with building a Super franken 16610 was the cost of a genuine movement, which was the only alternative if you wanted to use genuine hands.

Another consideration is down the line, if the Rolex clone movement I saw in another thread is for real, you could slip one of those in and you would have a real franken. Especially if it's set up to take genuine hands, WOW you would really have something.

One of the big problems with building a Super franken 16610 was the cost of a genuine movement, which was the only alternative if you wanted to use genuine hands.

I've seen at least two franken 16610s built off of the SA3135 movement here at the forums... gen dial/hands, SA3135, Sean or TC case.

I wouldn't build one like that--I personally prefer ETA movements, honestly, and I wouldn't sink that much money into a rep--but they were pretty damn nice.

'I suppose that is what my true question was, is there any reason/other watch to not go for the TC sub.'

In my view the TC Sub is good value for money, by the time you buy the watch and then add a Gen insert your in for over the $700 mark though (with shipping fees etc mine is $750 gen insert brand new) but I have had a couple of subs and I always look to them for everyday use, I'm no rolex expert but they look bloody good and have that quality feeling to them too ;) just waiting now for the V3 bracelet!

Go buy one rbt :inverted: