When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

on the hunt for GMT

Sparkal

Hey all, I am new to this watch scene. 12 months hobby so far and loving it...

I am fortunate enough to be able to entertain the thought of purchasing a couple of gens. I was originally looking at buying a new watch for my wedding but there are some lovely pre loved ones out there....

I have never been huge on Rolex but going to go try the follow on over the weekend....

http://www.jewelwatch.co.nz/watches-for-sale.php

Rolex Oyster Perpetual GMT Master 2

Model: 16710

Watch Description: Steel case and Oyster link bracelet, red and black bezel

Movement: Automatic

Case Size: 40mm

Includes: Box & Papers

Condition: 10/10

New Retail Price: NZ$12,065.00

Price: NZ$6,500.00

From what I have seen $6.5kNZD is slightly over the odds considering what can be got online. Or am I wrong and its a good price? The benefit of this is that I get the chance to hold the exact watch before buying.

Thoughts and opinions are welcome! especially if I am wrong on anything above!

Thanks in advance

The 16710 is a very nice watch, it was the first in the Rolex GMT series that has the settable hour hand. Very nice if you are traveling, as you can leave the GMT hand as your home time and reset the hour hand for your destination time zone. The disadvantage of the 16710 movement is the quickset date feature was lost when they went to the new movement in the 16710. That may not be a big deal to you if you wear the watch all the time, but it is if you only wear it occasionally.

It looks like 6.5k NZD converts to around 5220 USD,so your dealer is right in the ballpark. I looked at a couple of reputable sites, and it looks like the prices are running from around 4800-5500 USD for 16710's in very good to excellent condition some with recent services, all had boxes papers, etc.

Condition is evertything, recent service history is important unless the dealer is willing to include a service with the watch sale. Boxes and papers nice, not totally essential, but will make it easier to resell later if you should change your mind.The nice thing about buying a preowned one like this, pretty much all the depreciation has been taken, so you could wear it for a few years, and get most or all of your money back if it's still in nice shape.

I have a 16750 which is the model right before the 16710. It's absolutely one of my most favorite watches.

I went back and looked at the watch on the website link. that one looks to be in mint condition with box, papers, etc. I would think that this is a pretty good deal. also it looks like the dealer handles quite a few high end watches, so they aren't some shyster operation.If iwere in the market for a 16710 and this one came up close by, i would certainly give it a go. Any room for negotiation with these folks, or they really firm on the price? Lots of times if you walk in with cash in hand, dealers will negotiate. Tell them, you really like the watch, but you have 6k to spend., can't hurt to try!

Good luck

• Like 1

Panarei,

What can I say, thank you for such a detailed response. I did not hope for so much time on anyone's part.

The date setting issue has been the one thing that is playing on my mind. I would not intend to wear it as a daily, but I think I can live with that. I travel to the uk often and the gmt setting would be very handy.

Re the dealer, all research and conversations so far point to a true professional. They sell watches on behalf and I believe this is one of those. Hopefully I get to go visit their shop on the weekend.

Ideally 6k would work, and will try my luck as you suggest.

Wish me luck!

Thanks again.

Well I missed out. Rang up today to make an appointment to view tomorrow, and that beauty sold today.... Slightly gutted...

On a positive note he is currently servicing an identical watch which is slightly more "used" that may be up for sale next week.

The hunt continues.

Thanks for the input

Ahhhhh, things are working out as they are intended. You see, what you really want is a vintage gilt, tropical 1675. The King of GMTs. :wub:

snowy_tropics.JPG

• Like 1

Nah!! What he really needs is a 16750, early version without the white gold surrounds on the dial plots. Would be identical to the 1675 but with a better movement and quickset. I can't match your photo sinnce its 98 degrees here and mine is a later 16750 anyway.

I really do like your 1675, and he would be getting a great watch with either model.

Nah!! What he really needs is a 16750, early version without the white gold surrounds on the dial plots. Would be identical to the 1675 but with a better movement and quickset.

HERESY!! Off with his head!!

Oops, sorry. What's that, the 4th or 5th time I've done that? :tu: That's gotta sting........