When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Vintage 1675 (looky What Santa Brought Early)

rbj69

• 2 weeks later...
That also explains the huge date magnification. :g:

It does indeed - since we all assumed gen (nice one RBJ ^_^ ) just couldn't work that mag issue out at all, hence the crystal query. Love the 60s look - pointy CGs small gmt hand, but the date mag would annoy me as it's pretty hard to ignore. Also I'd swap that 70s/80s 'Jubbly' for a gen heavy oyster or folded links bracelet for a more accurate look. That said still a lovely piece.

As for the hard core case mods, perhaps Joe finally got his hands on that CNC machine and a borrowed gen 1675 to work from? :g:

p.s. nice to see you back in the land of the living, Euno :)

actually i could work the date mag out but we decided to leave the genuine tropic 116 alone, the pic makes it look really magnified but it isnt on the wrist that much but it may be a little more than genuine , again i could have shaved the crystal down a bit to make it sit closer to the dial and it would have lightened it up

Nanug , also the bezel is not a michael young bezel , that is a hand cut by rbj bezel my friend, , and the bezel insert is a genuine not aftermarket ,

pretty much like all my other vintages i did it my self and the pointy cgs were done by hand u cant do that with a cnc machine, it is like canvas art with metal, lol

as for the bracelet , to each his own, some like oyster and some like jubilee for this piece , i personally like the jubilee just because everything else i have is oyster style, lol

glad u like it and also really nice to see u as well euno, glad to be the one to raise u from the dead, lol im kidding my old vintage friend

joe

pretty much like all my other vintages i did it my self and the pointy cgs were done by hand u cant do that with a cnc machine, it is like canvas art with metal, lol

I meant case mods as in case profile, lugs, rehaut etc. - I would have thought that requires hard core machine milling unlike a hand dremel and some polishing compounds for CGs. Or am I wrong? :brow: What was Paul's base case like to start with?

As an aside, here's a nice pic of gen pointy CGs...

151248-14711.jpg

We tried to build the 1675 using my WM 1675 case, but the rehaut was too deep and the bezel was too thick.

The Paul case was thinner, with a shallower (more correct) rehaut and the bezel was thinner (albeit, still way to thick to pass as genuine.)

The CGs required many hours of reviewing and discussing various versions of genuine "pointy" CGs that I found in pics off the internet. We ultimately settled on this shape.

We discussed the magnification issue, on the crystal, and I decided that I wanted to keep the higher-power magnification (just my preference.) I tried on both the rivet bracelet and the jubilee and both my wife and I much prefered the jubilee on this watch.

More close-up pics...

151263-14703.jpg

151263-14704.jpg

151263-14705.jpg

151263-14706.jpg

151263-14707.jpg

151263-14708.jpg

151263-14709.jpg

I meant case mods as in case profile, lugs, rehaut etc. - I would have thought that requires hard core machine milling unlike a hand dremel and some polishing compounds for CGs. Or am I wrong? :brow: What was Paul's base case like to start with?

As an aside, here's a nice pic of gen pointy CGs...

151265-14702.jpg

this is pauls watch case i used

pretty good huh? and i dont use dremel bits hardly ever, i use jewelers sculpting bits, they look like dremel bits sort of but cost more and do more precise trimming basically

joe

We tried to build the 1675 using my WM 1675 case, but the rehaut was too deep and the bezel was too thick.

The Paul case was thinner, with a shallower (more correct) rehaut and the bezel was thinner (albeit, still way to thick to pass as genuine.)

The CGs required many hours of reviewing and discussing various versions of genuine "pointy" CGs that I found in pics off the internet. We ultimately settled on this shape.

We discussed the magnification issue, on the crystal, and I decided that I wanted to keep the higher-power magnification (just my preference.) I tried on both the rivet bracelet and the jubilee and both my wife and I much prefered the jubilee on this watch.

Thanks for filling in the necessary blanks XRT :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Wear it well.

You're welcome. I love it.

I really like the dial paint used on the hour markers...much more genuine looking now. It doesn't have that 'relumed' 'raised' appearance that is a dead-giveaway of a refinished dial.

He now has my 1680 and 1665 for dial painting in this same manner.

heres some pics of a genuine we used for the mold and there r others , there seems many have been polished on more than others and went with the refinished from factory look basically

151270-14698.jpg

151270-14699.jpg

151270-14700.jpg

Ahhh, I LOVE this 1675 stuff, and I know you guys knew that I would!

Out of curiosity, since the OEM crystal mag is too much, have you tried out a generic 116? The reason why I mention this is that the generic 116 has mag between 1.5x - 2x which seemingly would be the answer to your mag problem. The best part is that the generic crystal is identical to the OEM 116 aside from the date mag.

Cheers

Ahhh, I LOVE this 1675 stuff, and I know you guys knew that I would!

Out of curiosity, since the OEM crystal mag is too much, have you tried out a generic 116? The reason why I mention this is that the generic 116 has mag between 1.5x - 2x which seemingly would be the answer to your mag problem. The best part is that the generic crystal is identical to the OEM 116 aside from the date mag.

Cheers

i knew u would love it euno,lol

as for the crystal , again xrt likes the bigger fisheye look but it is actually an easy fix by just trimming the crystal bottom to make it get closer to the dial which will make the mag lesser , and also i did put the generic on there and we decided personally we still liked the genuine tropic mag. better , so when u r ready for one we can simply use the generic, roflmao ;)

joe