When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IWC 3714 Portuguese Disassembly

spoonfedhatch

Greetings all,

Lots of visitors of this forum seem to ask many of the same questions regarding tips and advice on disassembling, modding, and rebuilding their Portuguese Chronographs. It seems this particular model, more than any, gets so much attention because it's very desired, yet so volitile in reliability.

As a new member looking to take up the hobby of modding and sharing pictures/information, it would be fantastic if someone who has disassembled their 3714 would be so kind as to post up a tutorial on how to successfully take apart this fine replica. This may save new 3714 replica owners time, and save you guys time by posting up step by step tutorials on some of the more basic actions that most new owners take once they receive their watches.

Your thoughts?

Unless you know what you are doing with this movement then dont take it apart, also there ate two versions one with a screwed from behind bezel and one with a press on besel

what part do you want to take apart

Unless you know what you are doing with this movement then dont take it apart, also there ate two versions one with a screwed from behind bezel and one with a press on besel

what part do you want to take apart

Thanks for the reply, FxrAndy. I happen to have the updated version, which has the press-on bezel. Just like most, I'm not looking to actually modify the movement just yet, but I would like to know how to at least remove it, so that I can send the crystal off for AR treatment. Also, it would be nice to know how to remove the hands so that the dial can come off. I've heard that the chrono trim ring is also pretty tricky on this particular model.

I hope I'm not asking too much, if I knew what I was doing I'd be happy to post up basic shots to educate others on how to do a basic disassembly. Thanks again!

I would sugest that if you want ti get into modding and working on watches then start easy, somthing like a Pam and work up, what you are talking about is learnint to build a car and starting with formular one, start with a mini!

I would sugest that if you want ti get into modding and working on watches then start easy, somthing like a Pam and work up, what you are talking about is learnint to build a car and starting with formular one, start with a mini!

+1

This is intricate work and it's best to start with a very basic and cheap mechanical rep and then move to the IWC once you have learnt from the mistakes. I made so many when I first started.

Be prepared to mess up and throw away the watch. Buy a cheap replica (~$100) and some tools to start playing with it. There are online watchmaker courses out there to help with the basics too.

Some if not all the tasks require a lot of patience and a firm hand. Those are skills you gain with practice. Like Andy said, start small. The Portuguese (based on the A7750) is not a good starting point.

• 2 weeks later...

but I would like to know how to at least remove it, so that I can send the crystal off for AR treatment.

Pry bezel off with a case knife. Press out crystal from bezel.

Also, it would be nice to know how to remove the hands so that the dial can come off

If you have never removed hands from a watch before, you will break these.

Seriously.

I have worked on a couple of hundred watches, and I still pull chrono hands off of tubes sometimes. Rep hands are delicate.

• 4 weeks later...

Pry bezel off with a case knife. Press out crystal from bezel.

If you have never removed hands from a watch before, you will break these.

Seriously.

I have worked on a couple of hundred watches, and I still pull chrono hands off of tubes sometimes. Rep hands are delicate.

A good set of chrono hand levers help but as sneed12 says the probability of pulling a chrono hand off the tube is very high!