When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My Rolex Reps - Questions and advice

DRK_SA

Hello everybody from Oz where our toilets flush backwards........

This is my first post (and one that I have repeated on other forums so if you have seen it elsewhere please ignore) regarding my journey into the Rolex rep world.

I plan to ask a number of questions, each in a separate post so I don't confuse the answers, but fists a bit about my collection

It is crap.

I have been visiting the archipelago to our north west for a number of years, and have been buying reps each time.

The first visit in 2005 yielded a haul that no longer work, in fact most were DOA by the time I unpacked!!!

Over time (we travel each year) I have purchased some better units, but now that I have searched your forum and the trusted sellers/dealers I see that I have not got much in the way of quality.

So, I plan to ask some questions about the better models I do have, and maybe, just maybe, build up the collection.

Cheers to all,

David

Welcome indeed :good::drinks: You'll find plenty of helpful folks here, always willing to offer advice, encouragement, and the occasional required piece from a parts tray :) Without any more to go on, my one piece of advice, if you're planning on starting a collection, is have a plan/theme and stick to it, or you'll wind up with a dozen plus collection mostly gathering dust on a shelf while a few favored pieces get all the wrist time... I've been there before :bangin: The theme to my collection, is activity/occasion/weather based, so while I may wear one watch more than others, each one gets its day eventually :)

I agree. Years ago, I had a pretty large "collection" of vintage fountain pens. A fellow pen collector visited one time and I was showing off my pens. He told me, what you have is and accumulation, not a collection. What you need to do is pick out a particular era, brand, style, etc. And collect within that area. I decided to sell about 80% of the pens I had accumulated, and stick to a particular brand and within about a 25 year period of time. It took a while, but I gradually got together a pretty nice collection that was much more structured. By concentrating on one brand and a certain year group allowed me to do a lot more focused research, and then concentrate on finding pens that would fill holes in my collection. To and extent I have tried to do that with watches, although sometimes I go off the deep end and buy something completely the opposite of my core collection!

I agree. Years ago, I had a pretty large "collection" of vintage fountain pens. A fellow pen collector visited one time and I was showing off my pens. He told me, what you have is and accumulation, not a collection. What you need to do is pick out a particular era, brand, style, etc. And collect within that area. I decided to sell about 80% of the pens I had accumulated, and stick to a particular brand and within about a 25 year period of time. It took a while, but I gradually got together a pretty nice collection that was much more structured. By concentrating on one brand and a certain year group allowed me to do a lot more focused research, and then concentrate on finding pens that would fill holes in my collection. To and extent I have tried to do that with watches, although sometimes I go off the deep end and buy something completely the opposite of my core collection!

That's an awesome way of describing an outsized collection, and how to go about having a more cohesive one :good: To define mine in those terms, my favorites are Rolex/Tudor, primarily seated in the mid 70s, but with a few pieces going backwards and forwards from that point. The only really 'modern' watch in my collection is my Tudor Heritage, and that is still so strongly influenced by its predecessor, it still has that '70s vibe' :) The reason for this, being that the 70s (SanFrancisco) is my favorite era, in so much as it had good music, a mixture of fashions not too different than today, more tolerant attitudes, and enough gadgets to live a (nearly) current lifestyle, so I tend to think, "If I was living there/then now, what would I be wearing?" :victory: