When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Question for the PAM Experts: Has there ever been an Asian 6497 made with a simulated ETA Stamp?

marlin22

I am perplexed, I am being told that there are older Asian made 6497 movements out there with simulated ETA stamp on them. Not a Swisaniese but an Asian clone movement with a Chinese simulated ETA stamp. Has anyone ever seen one, I haven't and I am very curious to see one. If you have one please post a picture of it.

Yes, it was the "E" series paneraipanerai engraved ST36 movement sold around 2007. You could see it in many v5 fiddies that were floating around. The stamp was not very legible though and anyone familiar with what ETA markings look like could tell it was a pretty poor attempt.

Interesting, I was under the impression that was never replicated, sure would like to see one. Thanks wOlf

If someone could put up a picture, I would sure like to add that to the 6497 comparison thread I am putting together. It would be just that much more information to release to the membership.

I am sure I recall Vac selling a few of these... in 2009

I did buy one.... but it looked more like a butterfly

Not sure if its the same the M is on about...

The first and third picture look to me to be older Unitas 6497-1 with an anchor cock rather than a bridge and would have screws from the side of the base plate to secure the dail rather than the screws freom the back as we see on modern versions

OK time out, was the stamping replicated or not? I was always under the impression that they were ETA base plates, like DSNs Ultimate Fiddys?

On the second set of pictures it looks like an ETA stamp that has been worn down by the pearling process, I know because at first when I would pearl the base plate it would wear it out like that, until I refined the technique and began to use superfine compounds. But it looks like an authentic ETA stamp??? So, is the first set of pictures ETA? The stamp looks to me more inaccurate than the second set of pictures.

You are right Andy, I'm getting a bit rusty on legacy stuff. The movement I was talking about is a different animal, and I think this is the one Marlin is referring to, finally managed to find it:

http://www.repgeek.c...ead.php?t=89467

That whole movement looks a bit poo, it would not be hard for them to replicate the stamp, the finish on the achor bridge is not great and the pearlage looks very rough even after plating, but i think the only way to tell would be to take it apart and comparte it with a known baseplate, remember that a few years ago these swis unitas were cheep as chips and readily available, and there were lots of very old ones basic ones about.

I love this topic

More please