When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

2836 date wheel install/problems with date changing

Hey guys, I have a 2836 that I got from Rolexman, fully serviced. It didn't come with a date disc, so I got a black disc to use for my Planet Ocean project. Before I realized it wasn't necessary, I removed parts 2595 and 2784. I replaced them and reinstalled the disc, but it won't change with the date quickset. I have limited abilities here, so I'm not sure if I might have simply messed up either 2595 or 2784 or if I'm missing something else. I really would like to get this going but don't want to pour money into this movement when I can get a new one for less than $100. Thanks for your help!

Hey guys, I have a 2836 that I got from Rolexman, fully serviced. It didn't come with a date disc, so I got a black disc to use for my Planet Ocean project. Before I realized it wasn't necessary, I removed parts 2595 and 2784. I replaced them and reinstalled the disc, but it won't change with the date quickset. I have limited abilities here, so I'm not sure if I might have simply messed up either 2595 or 2784 or if I'm missing something else. I really would like to get this going but don't want to pour money into this movement when I can get a new one for less than $100. Thanks for your help!

Bummer. Did you make sure that the v-shaped spring of 2784 sits between the teeth? Did you use a 28xx series compatible date wheel? Is the date wheel straight? Does the corrector 2569 grip on? What do you feel when you turn the crown in date set. Just some random thoughts. Make a macro pic if you can. Maybe I can help you out!

There he is! It's undoubtedly my lack of experience. Part 2569 seems to be fine, as it will turn the wheel if screw 52595 is not fully screwed in. Of course, it will only turn a bit without jumping the v-spring of 2784. When it's all together and I turn the crown in date set, the corrector will just spin without turning the date wheel. It almost seems like either the date wheel I have is too thick or maybe 2595 is bent. Now that I'm trying to put it back together I can't find 2595 anyway, so I have to order a replacement. :-/ Thanks for the thoughts. I'll order another date wheel from another source to try as well.

Edit: found part 2595. Reassembled, same behavior. Will try to upload pics later.

Part 2569 seems to be fine, as it will turn the wheel if screw 52595 is not fully screwed in.

There you have your problem. You should be able to screw down part 2569 as tight as you can. Therefor I'm left to believe the date wheel teeth are too thick. Are you sure it is a 28xx series date wheel? Try laying down the date wheel on a glas plate and inspect with loupe if the teeth are straight.

The date wheel for the 2836-2 has the teeth on the bottom of it. If you try to use anything other than the 2836 wheel the teeth will be in the center of the date wheel and will not function. When you get your 2836 date wheel you will see what I mean. Good luck